Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: FFA Crappie Tourney on Lake Greeson??? Opinions...

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb FFA Crappie Tourney on Lake Greeson??? Opinions...

This is in the Arkansas forum but I know there are others close by that might would be interested and LOTS others with thoughts and opinions...so I thougth I would put this in the main forum too.

Our FFA has toyed with the idea of having a spring fishing tournament on Lake Greeson. I'm one of the agriculture teachers at Nashville high school. We had about decided to do a bass tourney, but I have recently caught the crappie bug. I have discussed this some with Jerry Blake and he thinks it would be a good idea and would help all he could. I'm sure there are others that will too.

One reason I have thought about a crappie tourney is well...there aren't any around here. Also I think crappie fishing is a more "family" oriented sport...I've been told that I would probably get more entries with the bass tourney...but you'll have the same people getting in that..not that its not bad...I LOVE to bass fish and have fished a couple tourneys and they are fun. But I'd like to see the grandpa and grandkids, moms and dads, fathers and sons get involved as well. This would be on a sat...and we would bring a smoker and have a big lunch and LOTS of doorprizes and such. My FFA kids would be there working and helping. I just think it would be a fun time.

Tourney would probably be a jackpot style tourney paying depending on number entered. Per boat entry. Big Fish...(possibly hourly)...Youngest and oldest catch (fishermen not fish )...my buddy that does one on dequeen lake has it close to easter and has game and fish hide eggs on islands and such with little tickets in them for prizes...one has a ticket for 100bucks. Only the game and fish guy knows where they are...maybe smallest crappie lol...biggest catch (most fish)...I have SOO many ideas...but I'd like to see this thing take off and I think eventually could grow into something pretty neat for this area. There are bass touneys everywhere...but you never hear of any crappie ones in Arkansas that much....at least not in the south.

Probably leave out of Self Creek ramp.

Anyone with any input please fill free to post or PM me as I'm open to everything. Main thing is making sure there isn't a bass tourney on greeson that day...and advertising...but that won't be hard to take care of. I'm sure to that since its a school function I'll be able to get loads of door prizes...most things we do around here we rack up pretty good. Our community supports the schools SOO much. Anyways let it fly and let me know your ideas and if you would be interested in coming to one...or even...helping!! lol...j/k My kids will be the workers...we'll just need fishermen and women!!

Thanks alot!!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a great idea that you have there, Scrapper. I assume that this would be also a fund raiser for your organization, right? It makes a good package deal: come fish our tournament and support a good cause. It should be pretty easy to promote an event like that.

You mentioned you're tossing up between a bass and a crappie tournament. I think that "bass tournament" only attracts hard core bass fishermen, the kind with 100+ hp motors and a dozen rods in the locker. That doesn't sound like what you have in mind, so why not just make it a "fishin' tournament" and have prizes for several of the major species, like bass, crappie, and bluegill. If you want "the family" to come out, it's good to have prizes for the kinds of fish that kids catch, like crappie and bluegill. I also like your idea of having age-group prizes and an egg hunt. It's good to have some other activities for the kiddies if the fish aren't cooperating.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on how it's going.