Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any input on this BPS spinning reel?

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any input on this BPS spinning reel?

Anyone own and use this reel. I handled a 1000 and 4000 size at BPS the other day. Felt really smooth for the money. 11 bearings and I have been wanting a reel with an oversized diameter spool. I would be buying the 2000 size. Would like your feedback if you have used this reel.

Bass Pro Shops Johnny Morris Signature Series Spinning Reels

Thanks,

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Quality of bearings is more important than number of bearings. I'd go with a similarly-priced Daiwa or Shimano. Poke around and see if you can find the old model Shimano Symetre -- great reel. I bought four of them on closeout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Read Reviews

You might want to read all the reviews on the page you posted.
    I was looking closely at this reel but am seeing on other boards that there were gear problems due to designing the body slim. Unless they have improved it the gears were weak. I sure like the idea of large spool though .ole Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Pfleuger President series. I have several of these on jig poles and they are the smoothest reels that I have ever had. Most of them are 2-3 years old and get used very frequently. BPS rating was a 4.5 star. Before you use them douse them with some Hot Sauce and they will never let you down. You get two spools and a protective felt bag for $59.00.

Post Thanks / Like

That is not a bad reel. You might consider something a little smaller for crappie. Shop around and you can find a nice reel for $130.00 range. I just purchased a Quantum e20PTi-A for less than $100.00, from BP. I assume you are looking to do some jig fishing. For spider rigging and trolling anything that will hold line works great. BP in macon has a neet little reel for $15.00 for that purpose. They are in the back room.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reels

Ranger check the price's at Cabela's bargin Barn before you buy anything. There are some very good discounts on good reels.

crappie cowboy

Post Thanks / Like

i have 2 of them,and they are darn fine reels.very,very smooth and the line twist issue u always hear about is about non-issue.i have mine mounted on bionic blades with 8 lb bass pro excel mono.

Post Thanks / Like

Default BPS=BAd

Do your self a favor and do not buy BPS products. Stick to the big 2, Shimano and Diawa. Although I have been thinking out an Abu 300 series reel. Quantums i have have had and never been as good as the other 2 above.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robbor View Post
    Do your self a favor and do not buy BPS products. Stick to the big 2, Shimano and Diawa. Although I have been thinking out an Abu 300 series reel. Quantums i have have had and never been as good as the other 2 above.
    I disagree respectfully. I feel the new Shimano's are not that great and are overpriced. I think Diawa is the new king of quality and performance in premium reels, and though I wouldn't have said this a year ago there isn't any price level where I wouldn't buy a Pflueger over a Shimano now that I have been using Pfluegers for a year. I have been blown away by the performance and quality of the rebadged Gander Mountain Pflueger Presidents I have been using this year and they were only 50 bucks, and one I got on sale for 40. In almost every performace respect they are superior to the Shimano's I have used for years. Reels that I payed over $100 for.

If I feel the need to buy a premium reel again I will get a Daiwa or a Pflueger Supreme XT. Every Shimano I have had in my hands I have returned to the shelf in disgust this year. Shimano has simply lost its way and people are buying them and giving them good reviews because they are conditioned to and haven't seriously tested the contemporary competition. Just my opinion, but one that's been formed by a lot of hands on testing and talking.

As far as the BPS reels are concerned, they are reels almost definitely MFG'd by the same Chinese factories that make the USREEL's. A reel that I have never thought was worth the money they cost, and that name has always irritated me since they are made in China. A very high percentage of reviews from people who have purchased those wide spool BPS reels have been negative and after I have had them in my hands they never impressed me.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    Every Shimano I have had in my hands I have returned to the shelf in disgust this year. Shimano has simply lost its way
    I was disappointed the new Shimanos did not come with spare spools. Other than the "old" Symetres I bought, my last two reel purchases were Daiwa Tierras -- very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast