Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Equipment recommendations needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Equipment recommendations needed

Hello,
    I am new to serious crappie and bream fishing and need to get some good tackle. I have several ultralite outfits so I don't need those but need something for vertical fishing. I have a $150 to spend. Help me select my tackle. Everything from a good pole, reel, jigs, hooks, weights, corks....the hold thing.

Speaking of poles and reels. Do most serious fishermen put reels on their poles or just tie the line to the tip? Also, what length pole is best?

Thanks for taking time to reply and help me spend my money.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

CCM, you'll open up the flood gates with replys to this one. You can use the search field above and find a lot of information on pole selection, reel selection and line selection.

I myself use 10ft Crappie Wizard Rods (now carried under B&M) and use Mitchell avocet spinning reels. You could get several outfits for 150.00.

Post Thanks / Like

B&M poles are all you need to get a good start and a cheap reel to hold line PVC as I dunk mine in the water and pvc or plastic don't rust. vertical jigging is all I do as for jigs bass pro is abo;ut as good as it gets rocket rich

Post Thanks / Like

one other thing I like to use Hi Vis gold line as I can see it much better than mono and don't let anyone tell you the fish will see it. I'm a shallow water 3-9 foot guy and put a lot of PVC attracter in which work after a year or so.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope you guys don't get tired of me talking about this...but I can't help but suggest calling grizzly jigs; 800-305-9866 and talk to Lance. He talked to me for about 20 mins on different rods/reels....combos....prices....and you can't beat their prices. There are many others to talk with there also...but I talked to Lance when I called. They also have a 3 rod discount...meaning if you buy three of the same or very comparable...ie...price and size, you'll get a discount for each one you buy.

I know what you mean though...I'm vertical fishing and there are floods of rods and reels to choose from. I went with 11' American Spirit (outlaw) rods and HT 1750 (6 ball bearing) setups. All three with shipping come to right around 150. I would also suggest for vertical fishing...if you will be using a bobber stop...be sure to get the "big eye" rods....this will allow the bobber stop to go through the last few eyes easily..if you don't it can and WILL be aggrivating...:rolleyes: been there, done that, got the t-shirt!...lol.

Good luck!!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

ccm...just saw you were from shreveport...do you get up to arkansas much?? I'm from Nashville. You ever come up towards greeson or millwood give me a shout! Me and my buddy agrihawg normally visit your BPS a few times a year! :D gotta love that place!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You should also decide which method of crappie huntin you think you might like to try....

Bank or boat fishing

Slow trolling, long line trolling, casting, cork fishing, etc.

There's lots of ways to catch'em just different preferred methods.

You sure are in the right place for info...crappie.com!!!
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor