Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider Rigging/Trolling Rig ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging/Trolling Rig ?

I would like to hear how you guys tie up your leaders for spider/trolling!
    this is how mine are done:

1. I have 8 lb high vis yellow stren on my reels.
    2. I use 12 lb clear stren line for my leader. The heavy line seems to help the line from getting knotted up or twisting from the forward motion.
    3. I conect my 8 lb and 12 lb line with a barrel swivel.
    4. I make loops/tag line about 18-24 inches apart and the tag lines are 6-10 inches long. The longer the better in rough water. It allows the minnow to swim freely. Also the lighter the weight in rough water has the same affect on the minnow. The first loop/tag line is just below the swivel but far enough down so the hook can't wrap around the swivel and the last loop/tag line is above the weight were it can't get wrapped around it. When making the loop/tag line I make an over hand knot 3 times and pull tight to make sure it doesn't slip. Three times seems to work best. The reason for the loop is I can change hooks. If I want to change from a red hook, gold, chart., etc...
    5. I then attach a bell weight at the end using a standard polymer knot like tieing a bass lure on. This is my rig. Now lets here some of yours!
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious to why you are going with a lighter main line and a heaver for the leaders. I do it backwards to what you use, 10lb main and 6lb leaders. That way when I do snag something I dont lose the complete setup. Maybe just a hook or hook/weight. The swivel is always there, the rest sounds about the same on rigging.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

TAE73 - The reason I use 12 lb line on my leaders is because all the other lines I have tried ends up getting so twisted the tag lines don't stay straight out from the main leader line. I guess the reason I have 8 lb on the reel is before I realized the heavier line worked better for me all my poles were filled with high vis yellow 8 lb line which I bought in bulk from Bass Pro since I can't find it in my local wal-mart. Usally when I get hung up the weight will pull the hook free if given slack. Allot of times the hook will straighten out, or brake off a single hook. I do loose some leaders but I always have pleanty tied up in case this happens.
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10 lb cheap line on my reel tied to a 3 way swivel. to this swivel I attach a 15" leader of 6 lb test trilene vanish. I tie a no knot connector or a hook to that and it leaves me with about a 12" LEADER.
    To the other side of the swivel I attach a 36" leader of 8 lb vanish. I slide a 1/2 oz. slip sinker onto this leader and wrap it 6 times through the hole 18" below the swivel. That leaves about 15" below the sinker and I attach a no knot connector or hook to that.
    That gives me a rig with the upper hook or jig with a 12" leader, a sinker 6" below that and another hook 12" below that. With the no knot medium connector I can change from jigs to hooks of any color in seconds and when I get hung I never break the main line. I keep extra rigs pre tied and when I brak any part I put what is left in a cup and use it to tie new rigs.
    This is what is called the Coleman and Capps rig as if they didn't invent it they sure made it popular.
    How to rig it and how to use it is covered in detail in the book.

Winning Crappie Secrets ... Slow Vertical Trolling
    at

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/editpo...itpost&p=49158