Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma boat title laws?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oklahoma boat title laws?

Hoping someone here might have recent experience with OK boat title laws. I was recently given a pretty nice flat bottom aluminum boat. Problem is I have no title to go with it. This situation on this boat is my dad bought it a few years ago - I'm thinking around five years- for my nephew. He gave the boat and the title to my sister. The nephew quickly got bored with it (kids!) and my sister quickly lost the title (women!). Another snag in this situation is that my sister never bothered to transfer the title in her name. So I suppose that the boat is still legally registered in the name of the man who my dad bought the boat from.

My first step is going to be a stop at the tag agency with the boat's numbers to see what they tell me. For all I know this may be simple to solve, but somehow I doubt that it will be. If anyone here has suggestions on how to go about getting this boat titled so I can get out on the water I'd greatly appreciate it. Anyone know the proceedure for getting a salvage title? Can you even do this with a boat?

-S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stingrayg4
    Hoping someone here might have recent experience with OK boat title laws. I was recently given a pretty nice flat bottom aluminum boat. Problem is I have no title to go with it. This situation on this boat is my dad bought it a few years ago - I'm thinking around five years- for my nephew. He gave the boat and the title to my sister. The nephew quickly got bored with it (kids!) and my sister quickly lost the title (women!). Another snag in this situation is that my sister never bothered to transfer the title in her name. So I suppose that the boat is still legally registered in the name of the man who my dad bought the boat from.

My first step is going to be a stop at the tag agency with the boat's numbers to see what they tell me. For all I know this may be simple to solve, but somehow I doubt that it will be. If anyone here has suggestions on how to go about getting this boat titled so I can get out on the water I'd greatly appreciate it. Anyone know the proceedure for getting a salvage title? Can you even do this with a boat?

-S
    sting iam on my way to renew my boat tags i will print this out and ask them iam pretty good friends with tag agency,i think all you have to do is file for a lost title

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but since I am not the person whose name appears on the title, I'm not sure they would give it to me. Even if they did, I'll still have to track the guy down for a signature in order to transfer it right?

In any case, any info you can gather for me at the tag office would be greatly appreciated. The folks at the tag office in Sapulpa are not known for being overly helpful.

-S

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but since I am not the person whose name appears on the title, I'm not sure they would give it to me. Even if they did, I'll still have to track the guy down for a signature in order to transfer it right?

In any case, any info you can gather for me at the tag office would be greatly appreciated. The folks at the tag office in Sapulpa are not known for being overly helpful.

-S
    THEY TOLD ME AT THE TAG OFFICE TO HAVE YOU GO TO A TAG OFFICE WITH THE NUMBERS OFF THE BOAT IF THE NUMBERS ARE IN THE SYSTEM THET CAN HELP YOU IF NOT THE TAG OFFICE WILL CALL OK CITY ANDTHEY WILL AND TRY AND HELPYOU OUT,IF NOT YOU WILL HAVE TO TRACK THE ORIGINAL OWNER DOWN AND GAT A DUPLICATE

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate you gathering that info for me. I wrote down the hull numbers, serial numbers, and sticker numbers. It was last tagged in 1999, so hopefully it's still in the system. I'll find out after work today. Wish me luck!

The good news is that I tested out the trolling motor with my truck battery last night and it still works fine, so at least I got a usable trolling motor out of this even if nothing else.

-S

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate you gathering that info for me. I wrote down the hull numbers, serial numbers, and sticker numbers. It was last tagged in 1999, so hopefully it's still in the system. I'll find out after work today. Wish me luck!

The good news is that I tested out the trolling motor with my truck battery last night and it still works fine, so at least I got a usable trolling motor out of this even if nothing else.

-S
    GOOD LUCK HOPEFULLY YOU GET TO DO SOME FISHING I WISH I COULD I WORK TO MUCH I HAVE ONLY WENT A FEW TIMES...I TALKED TO A FELLOW AND THEY ARE STILL CATCHING CRAPPIE ON GIBSON USING MINNOWS.................HAPPY HOOKS

Post Thanks / Like

I'm told the crappie are still biting at Tenkiller too, but I haven't gone myself yet.

-S

Post Thanks / Like

Well it went pretty much the way you said it would at the tag office. One thing I didn't have that I needed was a "Statement of Fact" where I pretty much just write down the reason why I don't have a title. I did that and I'm going back today. The lady indicated to me that getting a title won't be a big deal at all. Man, I'm ready to get out on the water & do some fishin'!

-S

Post Thanks / Like

Well it went pretty much the way you said it would at the tag office. One thing I didn't have that I needed was a "Statement of Fact" where I pretty much just write down the reason why I don't have a title. I did that and I'm going back today. The lady indicated to me that getting a title won't be a big deal at all. Man, I'm ready to get out on the water & do some fishin'!

-S
    me to i just put in for 2 weeks vacation starting the 24th through the 11th,bought a 27ft fifth wheel travel trailer and we are headed to lake ten killer i have never been fishing on ten killer so any pointers would be appreciated
    hopefully they are still biting a little bit...........happy hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Brought in the statement of fact, now I just have to wait & see what the folks in OKC come up with.

I've only been fishing at Tenkiller a few times myself. My brother in law is the real expert on that lake who I know. He's been catching a lot of them lately or so he says. Not sure where on the lake he's been fishing.

-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast