Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crankbaits To Use Trolling For Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question Crankbaits To Use Trolling For Crappie

There seems to be several threads on trolling with crankbaits for crappie but I don't see much dialog on which crank baits work the best. I see several folks use Bandit 200 and 300 series but is there any reason these baits would work any better than a Rebel or Bomber bait of a similar style and color?
    If I remember correctly, I saw some Norman baits that were designed to be crappie sized in my BassPro catalog. How well would these lures work? I reckon a fellow would do the best matching up the crankbait to the hatch size of the shad the crappie are feeding on.
    I am wanting to try some trolling crankbaits for crappie but so far, I have had limited results. I can find the crappie but finding crankbaits that they will hit consistantly is another story. I can tell by my rod tips when the baits I am using are running at the right speed, so I don't think that is an issue with me. I sure would like some input on lure selection.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crankbaits

My experience has been that depth first and speed second ,color third is more important than brand of crankbait. Lately a Bill Norman middle N, chartreuse with blue back, has been good for me. However a Bandit in the same color has been almost as good as long as depth and speed are maintained.Best lure of all for me has always been the old Cotton Cordell Rattlin` spot. Hope this helps you . Possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Well Redtick ...

I don't know if any one brand or style of crankbait is going to "consistantly" catch Crappie. I've caught them on several different brands/colors/sizes....and I don't even troll cranks for Crappie ...LOL!! If I'm trolling a crankbait - it's for Hybrid Stripers/White Bass ... and I usually have a leader line with a jig on it, tied to the front hook eye of the crank. And if I'm casting a crankbait - I'm Bass fishing. But, I've caught Crappie doing either/both.

Rebel Deep Wee R's - Bomber Flat A's - Rapala Shadraps ..... have all produced Crappie for me (as well as the intended target fish - Bass & Hybrid Stripers).

Possum1 has a point ..... depth IS the most critical factor. And, as long as the crankbait is "running true" .... you should get some "hits" (and hopefully they'll be from Crappie !!) ........ luck2ya ......cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too Many Options

For several years I have heard of trolling crankbaits for crappie. Most articles I have seen refered to using them in Mississippi, West Tenn or Nothern Ala.. I have wanted to try them here but have hesitated because of the expense of crankbaits. Recently there have been several articles refering to bandit crankbaits and Tim Huffman's book refers to Bandits. So today it is raining in NC and I decided to see what other options there may be for similar size and depth baits to the Bandit 200 and Bandit 300 series. I make no claim to he list being complete and any errors I am sure are mine.
    Thanks to Labill for the instructions on photobucket. I think I will stay with jigs.
    NL means BPS did not loist that onfo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Redtick,

Folks have been draggin' Bomber 5 and 6a's and Rebel Deep Wee R's for crappie since long before Bandit was even an "idea." It's all about the "press."

Don't get me wrong, I love the Bandit product but they are far from the only bait that'll catch 'em.

It's not about color or body style either..........it's about the one thing that so many people overlook when they are looking for the newest "signature" rod, thumbing through the catalog for the latest sure fire gadget or pouring over what new fangled trolling motor battery to use. What's that one thing you axe?

It's all about; Where your boats setting........

Having said that, I have had really good luck with a Bomber 6a in plain old "fire tiger," and Bandit 300 in Bone, and have used black some as well.
    Last edited by Crappie Attitude; 06-03-2005 at 05:13 AM.
    'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Post Thanks / Like

Default location, location, location

As the realtor people say, or as we country boys say ``you can`t catch them where they ain`t``.How true ,must find them before you can catch them. Six pound test line and a LOT of it will certainly allow a middle N Bill Norman to run much deeper than 8'.
    possum1
    Jack Mullins

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

possum, good point, and it says a lot about the "scribes" that write rather than "do." :D
    'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem finding them on my fish finder, so that is not an issue. And, yes, I hope to tangle with some stripers as well as crappie. I don't know this for a fact but I suspect both species attack the same schools of shad and a fellow would be as likely to get a striper as a crappie if trolling through a shad school.
    I appreciate the response and I am hoping for more. I know there is a lot of experiance out there and I hope to tap into some of it. I think this can be a productive way to fish for large crappie, (and occasional striper) but while I have had some luck so far, I haven't had the luck I am looking for yet.
    Thanks for the lure comparison chart. I plan to download it and use it when I am buying my next set of crankbaits to crappie fish with.
    The way I see it, I have got all summer to experiment and find something that works. If I get tired of trolling, I can always jig brushpiles, spider rig some minnows, and/or put out a catfish line.
    Thanks for the response so far!

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling

Redtick, I am certainly no expert on crappie fishing by any method, but I do my best at trolling, my experience has been that trolling is an excellent way to catch large crappie, seems that after the spawn bigger ones seem to hold deeper, at least in the lake I fish. About 20 -24 feet deep is sort of magic for me this time of year. Keep at it, let me know how you do. Lots of good catchin` to you. Possum1
    possum1
    Jack Mullins