Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hooks??????

Post Thanks / Like

Smile hooks??????

I just wanted to know the differences in hook metereial. I going to order some hooks to make jigs with and just wanted to know the pros and cons of bronze, gold, and red hooks.Thanks for any info.
    paddle faster i think i hear banjo music !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default hooks

Im no expert but heres my take.
    Bronze rusts to easy, sometime cheaper quality hooks

Gold usually cheaper softer hooks, Ive seen some really nice gold hooks that were supposed to be vmc but never could find the same hooks, probably custom. Does protect against corosion.

Red wears off really fast.

Black Nickle most durable, usually on higher quality hooks, very rust resistant.

From previous threads the one jig hooks id be interested in trying would be Matzuo sickle black nickle hooks(supposed to be very sharp), Mustad 9146 black nickle supposed to be very strong and chem sharpened.

I had a bunch of gamakatsu octopus hooks (favorite catfish hook) i use for catfishing and started using them in the ocean about 2 years ago.. The red hooks after one outing are all scratched up and make you not want to use them and that was with catching no fish. The blacks never rusted up on me and always looked great and sharp.
    Last edited by robbor; 11-30-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Robbor is right about the red hooks as it's not the metal but a coating. I use Mr. Crappie hooks in either red or gold (whichever is in stock I have no preference). I think Tru-Turn makes them. They are not real sharp out of the package but I can sharpen them with a honing stone and they are good to go.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

do yourself a favor and if you want an aberdeen bend hook, go for the vmc 9147 I think is the number. they are very sharp and cheap in price, I don't know why because the quality is there. chuckanddebs tackle is where I get mine, I bought the bronze hooks. and Iv'e used the matzuo too. they are the sharpest hooks in their price range, they are easy to bend tho. they are wide gap so you might want to go down a size. If you buy the matzuo or the eagle claw there will be different heights on the eyelet legs and a few deformed ones too. I bought 1000 mustad bronze in the 5.50 range and sent them back, short dull points. can't remember their model number. sohumi is an excellent hook, very sharp and very cheap. but they will vary on the eyelet leg height too. especially the smaller size 8's but the 4's are decent in that respect. they are almost as sharp as the matzuo.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to go wrong with any of the Japanese hooks. Gamakatsu, Owner, and Daiichi are all outstanding. Mustad would be a distant fourth choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPSHUCK1 View Post
    I just wanted to know the differences in hook metereial. I going to order some hooks to make jigs with and just wanted to know the pros and cons of bronze, gold, and red hooks.Thanks for any info.
    Hay slipshuck1--This nay not be what you are looking for but I think someone will try this information. There is an outfit called Do-itmolds. You can make your own Crappie jigs and get the write hooks for making your own lead jigs. Address-www.do-itmolds.com--Get the TAPERED TUBE SKIRIT JIG MOLD HOOK SIZE6 OR 4, WEIGHT IS 1/16 OR 1/32- these you can use Crappie tubes with. Do it Corporation---Ph. 1-319-984-6055 ask them to send you a catalog. You'll be glad you did.
    Last edited by Ken Jones; 11-30-2008 at 11:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think red finger nail polish will out last the red that comes on red hooks.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Rust?, Finish coming off?,,,,, What are you guys talking about?... I LOSE em long before either of those things happen...

Seriously, I agree with Robbor. The Black Nickle finish seems to be best

Post Thanks / Like

Default finish

I have lost quite a few at times QS , it P@sses me off more to open a box not used for a while and see the jighead thrashed from a little moisture or salt. Or bare lead oxidizing.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robbor View Post
    I have lost quite a few at times QS , it P@sses me off more to open a box not used for a while and see the jighead thrashed from a little moisture or salt. Or bare lead oxidizing.
    That's a sign that you are not fishing enough! (lol)

I hear ya Robbor,, I donate so much stuff to the brush that my junk doesn't have time to rust.

Some medicine bottles have a very small dessicant capsule in them... I keep these and throw them around in my tackle boxes.. Seems to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast