Post Thanks / Like

Default submersible fishing lights

Can anyone give some advice on the night fishing lights price,will they
    drain the battery,and which battery starting or deep cycle,and above all
    do they produce as advertised?

thanks...spider rig man

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

the flouresent green lights draw low power... Q-beam draws little power. Floating light draws much more than the others. I run 3 lights on a trolling deep cycle battery and the other off the cranking bat. I put the floater by itself some times but most of the time it is on the same bat as the others.

I fish all night and still have starting power and trolling power left. I use the biggest deep cycles I can get from Wally World.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spider rig man
    Can anyone give some advice on the night fishing lights price,will they
    drain the battery,and which battery starting or deep cycle,and above all
    do they produce as advertised?

thanks...spider rig man
    I use the qbeam starfires. prices average around 15 dollars each. some places a little more, some a little less. I wouldnt use the starting battery for a light source. you might not be able to get home when you ready to go, and they arent designed for that kind of application. anytime you are using something thats causing a slow drain, its best to use the batteries designed for a slow drain. any light source you use is gonna drain the batts. keep em charged and check the water regular. yep, they produce. seeing is beleiving. if you go back and check out some the photos the nightstalkers bring to show and tell, you will be a beleiver before you ever give it a try. . some of these boards is loaded with night stalking info. so do a little backpeddling and you will find plenty of tips and info on it.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got one of the Hydro-Glow lights thats about 5 feet long. It puts out tons of light but I havent had much luck using it yet. Probably cause Im not doing something right. I spent enough on it that its gonna have to let me down 100 times before I will able try something else...hahaha. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    Ive got one of the Hydro-Glow lights thats about 5 feet long. It puts out tons of light but I havent had much luck using it yet. Probably cause Im not doing something right. I spent enough on it that its gonna have to let me down 100 times before I will able try something else...hahaha. Billy
    Unfortunately, I have had the same success rate with that Hydroglow. I would recommend those Starfires - HANDS-DOWN - over that Hydroglow. I have yet to catch a fish having that Hydroglow out. Of course, you would think for that much money the fish should just give up......

I would go with the Starfires, MUCH BETTER in my opinion.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I was a kid a friend of my dad's used to fill up a glass jug with water, put about a half dozen minnows in it and then drop in a couple of those green glow sticks. He's hang it over the side of the boat at the depth he was fishing. He claimed that it would draw the fish in like a magnet. Never tried it myself because I never do any night fishing. Might try it for kicks one of these days.

-S

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jar fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Stingrayg4
    Back when I was a kid a friend of my dad's used to fill up a glass jug with water, put about a half dozen minnows in it and then drop in a couple of those green glow sticks. He's hang it over the side of the boat at the depth he was fishing. He claimed that it would draw the fish in like a magnet. Never tried it myself because I never do any night fishing. Might try it for kicks one of these days.

-S
    Check your state regs. in some states this kind of fishing is illegal. Believe it or not!
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be darned. Never occured to me that it might not be legal. Maybe I won't try it after all.

-S

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Stingray ......

I would think that it would only be "illegal" in a state where possession or use of "minnows" isn't allowed. Of course, checking with your Fish & Game Officers, would be a good move.

I've also heard that the glass should be clear/smooth & not have any "raised" lettering or prismatic properties (like a Mason canning jar does). It's also wise to punch several holes in the lid ... not only to allow fresh water to enter - but also for tying the holding string to :p

Maybe you could tie the string around the middle of the "glow stick" - then thread the string thru a hole in the center of the lid ... directing the light out and down on the minnows (highlighting them :rolleyes: ).

I read about this "trick" - back about 30yrs ago - and it was intended for use during the daytime ........ But, I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well at night. I always "intended" to try it out ..... but, with my luck, some big 'ol Flathead or Striper would come by and ........... (insert picture of one Crappie saying to another -- "Ooooh, that's going to leave a mark" ) ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Are there actually states where it's illegal to fish with minnows? I've never heard of this. Wonders never cease.

-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast