Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried this out?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone tried this out?

I print my own maps, etc. Everytime they get wet, the maps are destroyed. Just wondering if anyone here had tried the waterproof inkjet paper. Need a little input here.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clear shelve covering

I get that clear shelve stuff that is sticky on one side and cover both sides of the map and leave some overhang and trim.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Yep stevej right I Go to walmart in the section where the office supplies are, i do the same thing with my maps.

Post Thanks / Like

Take them to an office depot store or some kind of Kinkos and have them laminated on both sides. Or BETTER YET have them print the maps out on Laminated Sheets with water proof ink. If memory serves me right the Corp of Engineers does this. I have a HP Laser Printer that can print on Laminated type sheets of plastic. You remember back in the old days when everthing was done with overlays in classes? Overhead Projection machines? There is your idea mate!

I found some sheets that will work in my printer at the local Office Depot Store.

Humm!.

They make laminating machines also where you can do it yourself.

I hope to eventually get my Patoka Lake maps finished and printed out where I can laminate them and put them inside a notebook.

Wonder if a spray enamel would work? Never tried that before. A spray lacquer might work maybe. Never tried it before.

Tom you might want to divide up Big Sandy into multiple smaller areas and then you can get better resolution on each area. Sort of like Pat does on his Hydrografix maps. He divided Big Sandy into North and South regions and then further divided each region into 4 or 6 sections with each section divided up into a, b, c, and d areas. That way you will be able to see the numerous waypoints that you have on your maps. Right now the waypoint numbers all overlap and it's hard to read them. Would take more paper and require some work but in the long run it should help you. Make one master map of the entire area and use it as an index type map. Have that as the first page in the book. That way you can see where you are on the lake using the bigger map and then figure out which section you are located in and then go to a tab in the book to find the detailed map of that section. Larry from Southern IN did his Patoka Lake maps this way. He took a big map. FHS map and divided the lake up into sections zero though 27. Each section has it's own detailed map. I further divided each section into four parts so that I could scan them into the computer. Each big section is 19.5" by 13.5" in size. That was too big to fit inside my 8" by 11" scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I print my own maps, etc. Everytime they get wet, the maps are destroyed. Just wondering if anyone here had tried the waterproof inkjet paper. Need a little input here.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Gets a huge kick out of the student trying to teach the teacher something. Now that is funny. I, I ,I, I for you Moose. Its not like he needs any lessons catching crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom asked for some new ideas and I gave him some ideas. Tom and I talked about this once before while out on the lake trying to read his maps after then got wet the night before. The Ink was bleeding all over the paper maps making them unreadable. Tom simply said he would print out new copies. I mentioned having them laminated at that time. I am sure that Tom remembers this.

The idea of printing them out on plastic sheets with waterproof ink is a good one. Do you have a better idea? If so why don't you share them with us?

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy
    Gets a huge kick out of the student trying to teach the teacher something. Now that is funny. I, I ,I, I for you Moose. Its not like he needs any lessons catching crappie.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

3M makes the Laser Printer Transparacy film but they also make this type of film for inkjet printers.

What type of inkjet printer do you use Tom? Surely they make an ink that should work with the Transparancy film.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Clear "Contact Paper" is the less expensive way to go. Did it for years...

Post Thanks / Like

Used to waterproof all my maps for Canadian canoe trips using Thompson's water seal. It works on paper as well as wood. Soak the paper for a minute and then hang on the clothesline to dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    My brother puts his in PVC pipe with a screw-on end. Keeps them dry even if they fall overboard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast