Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90 horse Johnson problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default 90 horse Johnson problems

I went out today it was runing fine and just died when i start it it will run as long as i keep the key held in place but when i let go it dies,i turned off all my electronics it started for just a minute,could it be the altinater?
    Take a kid fishing

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by "as long as I keep the key held in place"? What year is it?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Joey ...

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Briggs View Post
    I went out today it was runing fine and just died when i start it it will run as long as i keep the key held in place but when i let go it dies,i turned off all my electronics it started for just a minute,could it be the altinater?

I may be guessing here, but .... if you mean that you have to keep pressure on the key itself, when you say "as long as I keep the key held in place" --

then I suspect the ignition box/contol box has something loose in it, rather than the alternator being the problem. Could it be a short in the key switch, or the internal housing or parts have vibrated loose ??
    Also, if you have a "kill switch" system installed ... check to see that it's OK, engaged and functioning correctly
    Hope it's not a power pack going out !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Cloud be trash in carb if you have to hold key "in" if it's like mine that activates the choke and would increase the gas going to the motor. just a thought. also could be crack in fuel line letting it suck a little air.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah big difference between holding it in start or pushing it in. Please give us more info.

Post Thanks / Like

Im having to hold it in start.When it died it acted like the kill switch was pulled but i messed with it no differnts.
    Take a kid fishing

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What year is it??
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

more info for sure . holding the key in on most outbords is for chocking it to crank .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

It is 03 Im not pushing the key in to choke im having to hold it like im trying to crank it.I have done put new power pack and new coils it was running good for about a hour and then it would lose a 1000rpm but none of that has helped the problem either so i figure what ever that prblem is finally broke for good.thanks for the help.
    Take a kid fishing

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Joey ...

still sounds like an ignition switch problem. From what you are saying, you're having to hold the key steady, and at the angle like you were cranking the engine, but not pushing in (like you were engaging the choke). If you're like me, and no kind of DIY guy :p ... it sounds like a trip to the dealer mechanic is in order. Or, at least a phone call. You might also check with the Marine Doctor ( The Marine Doctor ) .... I've seen lots of posts refer to him as the "go to" guy.

... luck2ya ... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast