Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: canoe trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default canoe trip

I bought a canoe this spring;my brother and I decided to take a float trip down the Catawba river in South Carolina.The trip started by leaving his truck at the take out point and driving mine to the base of the Lake Wylie dam to put in.We started out by catching a few bass and bream in the calm waters below the dam.My brother and I usually get along fine until the water started getting a little faster and we started bouncing off of boulders.You would have thought we were shooting class 5 rapids.We were arguing about which way to tackle these raging waters;it didn't bother me when I saw his cigarettes floating in the bottom of the canoe.:rolleyes:after crossing under the I-77 bridge we came upon a drop off where we were paddling like mad trying to shoot the rapids.The current pushed us against a boulder and tipped us almost over;not knowing my favorite baitcaster had fallen out of the boat.We floated downstream a piece before noticing it was gone.I said a few bad words and knew I couldn't do anything about it.After going downstream about a half mile something caught my eye,it was my rod with the cork handle floating out of the water.We finally made it to the river park ready to take out when we saw that people were standing in the water.Our whole trip was taken in knee deep water.My brother and I still laugh at our mighty trip.:o

Post Thanks / Like

Thats pretty good Jeffy. At least you made it back in one piece.
    My first time out we wraped the canoe around a snag in the middle of the river and broke it in half. It was either that or run over some people that had just crashed in front of us. A guy and his girlfriend. He shoved the girl at me and went after their canoe. That gal wraped around me like a cat tryin to climb a cane pole, about drownded me!
    Luckly we had 2 friends behind us that gave us a lift in. Four guys in a canoe, we looked pretty silly!
    Last edited by JIG Gene-e; 11-27-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    Last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it!

Post Thanks / Like

Good Story! I am involved with the Boy Scouts and I have done two 30 some odd mile trips down the New River in upper NC. We encountered some bonified class three rapids, and had a few guys flip! Luckily no one was hurt and we all had a blast doing it.
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Also I caught a nice sucker fish (on a 1/4 oz White Rooster Tail, dont ya know) and my dad caught a few smallmouth bass as well as a trout.
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been on that stretch in my canoe. It's a nice float over some clear water. If you ever want to play on some rapids on the Catawba, hit Landsford canal and ask the ranger. There's 3 nice big rapids to play on when the water's right.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin