Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My idea for spooling spinning reels

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My idea for spooling spinning reels

I started to add this to a previous thread talking about line choices but I decided it probably needed it's own thread so as to not hijack someone else's thread.

2 things I do when loading new line onto a spinning reel....First I have a reference point in my yard that is exactly 65 yards from my normal "reel loading area" which is my bench vise. I put a screwdriver thru the new line spool and clamp it in the vise, pull off exactly 65 yards of line to the reference point in the yard, cut the line at this length, attach the line to the reel, and wind the line onto the reel. This serves the same function as pulling your line behind the boat with no bait attached to uncoil the line. (Different size reel...I use a different reference point in the yard). This idea is also handy if you use fireline in the 130 yard spool as it is exactly 1/2 of the spool, then you don't end up with a tag on the fireline spool that is too short to actually use for anything.

Also, I never use the reel handle to flip the bail. EVERY cast I flip the bail with my hand and then gently tug on the line away from the reel. Loose line loops on a spinning reel are usually (IMO) formed by slack in the line caused by the bail not completely setting the line snugly back onto the reel spool. Then the next time you cast, the line laying on top of this loose line loop grabs the loose loop and uncoils the loose loop before it is actually time for that section of line to come off the reel in the cast.

So if you make a habit of closing the bail by hand and pullin any slack out before you start your retrieve, 99 % of spinning reel birds nests will be eliminated. After a while, it become such a habit you won't even notice you're doin it.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Good thoughts on how to get the most out of a spool and ensure a quality wind. I, too, have gotten into the habit of closing the bail by hand over the course of the past few years.

Thanks for the good descriptions.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great tips!!! Since I was a child I've always used my hand to flip the bail and I've always used a spinning reel. I know people say you have to use a baitcaster to bring in large fish (and maybe it's easier for them with this type of reel) but I've brought in 40+ lbs Flathead catfish on my little spinning reel and all I know is it works for me!!!

IF YOU'RE FISHIN ON CREDIT, YOU'D BETTER SWITCH TO DEBIT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I Do The Same Thing, Measure Off The Line In The Yard And Reel It On The Reel To Get Out As Many Twists As Possible, Flip The Bail By Hand And Pull The Line Tight Away From The Reel. I Also Use Tangle Free. It Makes The Line Limp . So I Have Fewer Twists And Fewer Backlashes Or Fluff Offs. I Have Been Doing It For Years. I Guess I Have Just Been Doing It So Long I Forget Why I Am Dong It . Just Habit. No Telling How Many Good Idea's Someone Has Come Up With That We Dont Even Think About Telling Everyone About. Maybe Someone Out There Has Something Else That Helps Out In This Situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Good advise

IceWariorGill, Your method is a no-nonsense method for avioding spooling twists.
    I might be a bit dense here, but do all your spools take 65 yds to properly fill? I have a heck of a time figuring out how much line I need to fill a spool.
    I should also mention that line twist is usually not a problem for me anyway. I always close the bail by hand and favor larger arbor reels. ole Mike

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish5 View Post
    I Do The Same Thing, Measure Off The Line In The Yard And Reel It On The Reel To Get Out As Many Twists As Possible, Flip The Bail By Hand And Pull The Line Tight Away From The Reel. I Also Use Tangle Free. It Makes The Line Limp . So I Have Fewer Twists And Fewer Backlashes Or Fluff Offs. I Have Been Doing It For Years. I Guess I Have Just Been Doing It So Long I Forget Why I Am Dong It . Just Habit. No Telling How Many Good Idea's Someone Has Come Up With That We Dont Even Think About Telling Everyone About. Maybe Someone Out There Has Something Else That Helps Out In This Situation.
    Who makes tangle free ?--I have used reel magic [gettin hard to find]
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Illinoisgiller, I know I'm not as precise as Rnvinc but I usually use Trilene XL (extra-limp) as my line on many of my rods and I will spray on the Reel Magic all over the line and reel after I've spooled it (seems to prevent alot of line twist and lubricates both line and reel). Also I make sure to only spool the line to within approximately 1/8 inch of top of reel spool--if you spool to top completely you will end up with some nasty uncoiled line twists and loops which jump off your reel on casting creating nasty knots, twists, and tangles in your line!!! Hope this helps!!!

IF YOU'RE FISHIN ON CREDIT, YOU'D BETTER SWITCH TO DEBIT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to tangle free it seems to work better than reel magic.
    Cabela's -- Tangle Freeฎ Line Dressing

Post Thanks / Like

You Can Check Out Tangle Free @tanglefree Fishing.com Or You Can Buy It From Cabela's. I Buy It At A Local Tackle Store. I Put A Few Drops On While Spooling The Line On The Reel Then A Few Drops When I Get To The Lake. It Eliminates Most Of My Problems.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The 65 yard reference point I mention is just for use with fireline 130 yard spools which , in effect, gives 2 reel fills.

Each brand of reel will have a different amount of line needed for optimum fill capacity depending on the reel spool diameter and your choice of line diameter... Use a different reference point in your yard for optimum fill capacity and make a note for each one if use different brands of reels and/or lines.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast