Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review-Slow Trolling for Wintertime Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Review-Slow Trolling for Wintertime Crappie

I previewed the video that Jerry Hancock (member of this forum) and Paul O'Bier completed "Slow Trolling for Wintertime Crappie" today. You may remember several months ago, Jerry and Paul produced a video named "Timber Crappie Fishing" which was very good and created a large interest among crappie fishermen.

The new video consists of High Quality Photography and the video is very good, although the sound is interrupted at times by incoming boat noise from other boats. The video was shot recently on a Texas Lake in winter, 2008. As mentioned in the video, Slow trolling is a tournament proven technique that is deadly on Wintertime Crappie. Paul and Jerry give very detailed instruction on the art of Slow Trolling for Wintertime Crappie. The video is broken into three segments: 1). Equipment 2). Finding the Crappie 3). Let's go Fishing. Jerry and Paul explain in detail how they tie single leader hooks for trolling and also the Capps and Coleman double hook rig and how they premake multiple rigs and store them without alot of tangles. The segment on finding crappie is an excellent description on how to find fish, and several live shots of the Color Graph live -working ledges, dropoffs and deep brush piles which are very helpful for those not real confident in their knowledge of fish finder interpretation. Finally, the duo go fishing and explain several helpful hints on how they approach trolling with the emphasis of SLOW is the best technique. If you are looking for alot of moving around the lake, this video does not present that, there is a tremendous amount of crappie catching going on and don't expect monster fish time after time, this is actual fishing where there are as many little fish as keepers, but they emphasize techniques for catching the crappie where one can be comfortable trying this on their own. It is designed as a beginner teaching tool, which is excellent for the majority of crappie fishermen, new to trolling.

Enough on the preview If you are interested in this video or wish to contact Jerry or Paul for more info below is the contact info:

North Texas Guide Service
    and
    Hancock Productions

I think you will be impressed with the quality and the techniques shown. These two are accomplished crappie fishermen, but they have the everyday person in mine when making their videos.

Good Fishing,
    Ron, Mud-Dabber
    Last edited by Mud-Dabber; 11-25-2008 at 10:53 PM.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered both but only received the slow trolling one. Sent them an email but haven't heard back from them yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered mine last week Ron,hope its here today. Give me something to do over the long weekend !!!

Sure enjoyed the timber video,cant wait to see this one.
    "Only Death will end my love affair with Texas"........... Bob Bullock

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered, paid, recieved and watched both, Standing Timber and Wintertime slow Trolling. Honest critic from me would be that both videos will help folks that have never undertaken either tactic while Crappie fishing. For me, I found a few things that may help my catch, but I've been crappie fishing for almost 40 years too. As for the "Wintertime" video, they did not move around that much in search of crappie. A marker bouy was placed, and they seemed to center around that and just work the same area. My suggestion would be to show the folks how to locate a school or new brushpile, dropoff, find those humps that might be holding crappie, etc. How to work it while slow trolling, toss that bouy out and work the perimeter until you can find the zone. Also, I don't know what time of year the Wintertime video was made, but, it was obviously in a warm climate since it shows Both Jerry and Paul in short sleeve shirts and one of the passing boats operators had his shirt off. Also, it might have been a audio setting problem on my pc, but, I could only hear Jerry clearly on the video, and Paul sounded like he didn't have a mic and could barely hear him. I have not tried it in a regular DVD player yet.

The Timber video with Paul fishing, and Jerry on camera was interesting. They gave up some of their secrets to what has led them to tournament wins.

In fairness to both, Jerry and Paul have vast experience in catching crappie. Jerry has helped me in the past by giving me helpful hints through email. Both will answer any question you have and are great guys, not to mention, they outfished me on my home lake of Oologah. As with any venture, their future videos will only get better.
    I wouldn't call it a "must see" to the experienced Crappie fisherman, but they do make some valid points while showing what techniques work for them. Both videos will help guide a newbie to Crappie to many successful trips. I have no quams about my purchase and will buy the next one they make. I hope I haven't offended anyone.
    Craig
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the remarks.
    Kenneth, I shipped the Timber video out today. Missed adding it to your order and am very sorry. I replied to your e-mail this morning.
    Craig,
    I'll try to answer a few of your questions. We shot this in late October. It had been cool but on that particular day it was in the mid 70's. We would have waited another month the fishing would have been better and looked colder for sure but we wanted to get the video in people's hands so they could use the info this year.

The buoy was to give reference to brush and to let the camera boat know where to hover. I'm breaking in a couple camera guys. I shot most of the first video because I knew what I wanted shown while Paul fished. This one was a little harder We love the feedback and advice. I'm trying to give Crappie fisherman something that is not readily available and that is videos on particular subjects that go into detail. I hope the first two videos come across that way. I'll take all feedback to heart and welcome it.
    Paul was mic'd up, I don't know why his sound would not come through. Both mics run through the same receiver.
    We have some new software we are working with that will allow us to do more things on future videos.

Thanks again for your comments.
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry,

I am in the Air Force and deployed to the Desert. I was wondering if you guys ship to APO boxes? I have downtime from time to time and would really like to see these videos. Please let me know and thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Probably another stupid question but....

I've never heard of trolling for Crappies. Does this method lend itself to these lakes down here that are deep and clear? I've only been down here for 5 years and fished the smaller, silted in lakes up in Iowa and Illinois. I've got some slight experience in trolling for walleyes down here using long lines and lead core but don't know where to start when it comes to Crappies. I've only tried the slip bobber and brush pile approach scenario. These videos really may be what I need if I can talk "Big Momma" into them for my Christmas present... Thanks in advance for any comments you may have. DH
    "One man gathers what another man spills" GD

Post Thanks / Like

IAMMAC-PM me your APO address. I'll purchase the DVDs and send them to you. I'm retired Air Force and appreciate what you do. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IAMMAC View Post
    Jerry,

I am in the Air Force and deployed to the Desert. I was wondering if you guys ship to APO boxes? I have downtime from time to time and would really like to see these videos. Please let me know and thanks in advance.
    You send me your address, I'll mail you some videos.

I'll throw in a few extras, pass them out to anyone interested. Thank you for your service to our country.
    my e-mail is [email protected]
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry,

I just sent you an email. This is not at all what I expected. I appreciate it very much and will definately pay it forward.

Glenn,

I see that you are from Florida, I am from Ocala and have been in Arizona for the last 8 years.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast