PDA

View Full Version : Bobbers

oldwun
11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
I have just started to slo troll and my wife thinks if you ain't got a bobber you cannot fish. Does anyone troll using Bobbers? Do you use weighted? Which bobber do you recommend. Size? When I am by myself I do not use the bobber but I like for her to go when she wants.

birddog
11-25-2008, 03:46 PM
I use a slip cork most of the time and I prefer to use an unweighted cigar shaped cork that is 3" or less.

booger1
11-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Real men troll for crappie and don't use Bobbers.

oldwun
11-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Come on now Booger. My wife is not a real man. Maybe we can fish together again after the first of the year. I see you are bored today to.

AntiochBA
11-25-2008, 05:50 PM
I have just started to slo troll and my wife thinks if you ain't got a bobber you cannot fish. Does anyone troll using Bobbers? Do you use weighted? Which bobber do you recommend. Size? When I am by myself I do not use the bobber but I like for her to go when she wants.
check out the latest crappieworld magazine. there was an article in there about trolling. some guide on reelfoot uses bobbers while trolling

redear
11-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I have heard that it is done all the time at kerr lake va. To give a person a moment to grab the pole before the crappie feels much resistance, and also because some of them use 14-20 foot telescopic fiberglass cane pole type poles, and since they don't have a reel to adjust the depth, then that is done with the bobber. hope I got this right. the only problem I see is that the bobber would get pushed closer to the boat than normal. negating the pole length some. but there are some legendary crappie fishermen doing this.

rockmike
11-25-2008, 09:43 PM
A lot of people spider rig using floats. Most use fixed cigar floats with their poles set close to the water with a couple feet of free line. Works good in shallow water.

WestTennCrappie
11-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Alot of guides (and others) use them here at Reelfoot. Mostly becasue its easier for people that dont spider rig to know when they get a bite. They also say that when it is windy the waves move less than the boat does and it keeps the bait in a more fixed position. Myself I wouldnt use them if you paid me to, but for your wife it should be just fine!

Cane Pole
11-26-2008, 08:47 AM

I got the same problem. She want fish without bobbers. I will use a bobber on occasion in rough water. Use it more as a reference to located the end of the pole.

I guess some of us are just girly guys.:o

birddog
11-26-2008, 09:11 AM
The term is "girly men" and if using this advantage to catch a few fish is girly what would you call women that don't use corks?

AtticaFish
11-26-2008, 12:25 PM
This thread has me thinkin....:rolleyes:

I carve my own bobbers from balsa do to the lack of selection @ the only (ha ha) tackle shop (wally-mart) within an hours drive. I do troll/paddle baits frequently and just had the thought of creating (not sure how) tiny planer board style bobbers to speard out my rigs. I live in ohio which has a 2 pole limit and I use only 6'-7' rods. Any one ever heard of such a thing? I will carve up something & if it works, I will take orders!!:p

I have trolled with bobbers and prefer egg shaped slip bobbers. Have tried pencil shaped and end up getting a back & forth wobble that I don't care for. Depending on speed, maybe weighted would help?

BuckCreekMike
11-26-2008, 01:50 PM
You call them Lesbians!

birddog
11-26-2008, 02:41 PM
You guys are rough......

shipahoy41
11-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Real men troll for crappie and don't use Bobbers.

Tournaments.........I have trolled
Crappie fishing for relaxation.............you can't beat a slip bobber.

That's my 2 cents.

feelay
11-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Never have understood using floats while trolling, never seemed necessary to me. When verticle jigging, there's nothing like feeling that tap. However, certain times of the year, I love to cast a jig and float. Grew up fishing this way and find it very exciting to see that float "snap".

ShellQuacker
11-26-2008, 10:17 PM

I carve my own bobbers from balsa do to the lack of selection @ the only (ha ha) tackle shop (wally-mart) within an hours drive. I do troll/paddle baits frequently and just had the thought of creating (not sure how) tiny planer board style bobbers to speard out my rigs. I live in ohio which has a 2 pole limit and I use only 6'-7' rods. Any one ever heard of such a thing? I will carve up something & if it works, I will take orders!!:p

I have trolled with bobbers and prefer egg shaped slip bobbers. Have tried pencil shaped and end up getting a back & forth wobble that I don't care for. Depending on speed, maybe weighted would help?

I thought I was the only one obsessed enough, to make my own bobbers!
This is great.
I tried slanting the faces on some slip bobbers, with a wire inserted in each side to attach a weight, so it would lay that way. Depending on which way you wanted it to run. Sounded good, didn't work at all. Not enough water resistance I guess. I'm going to put some Lexan "fins" on, and try that.
I'll post some pictures of my success/failures. I've used basswood, cedar and just plain pine, (2x4), as well as balsa.

rnvinc
11-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I generally spider rig with 10 poles. 8 of them are tightlined straight down, but the 2 fartherest back toward the back of the boat (one on each side) I rig with a slip bobber that has a "bobber stopper" above AND below the slip bobber. Slow trolling/ spider rigging with a slip bobber, the bobber will tend to "slip" down the line toward the bait due to the movement of the boat and the resistence of the bobber in the water. So the "bobber stopper" above the float is for depth controll of the bait.... and the "bobber stopper" below the float is to keep the bobber from "slipping" down the line toward the bait.

Then, while I am spider rigging, and I find a brush pile that is too wooley to spider rig over or if I want to cast a "slip bobber" toward the bank or some other target... I can just move the lower "bobber stopper" down the line and cast the slip bobber rig as usual.

rnvinc
11-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Actually I spider rig with 12 poles, not 10 as stated.......10 fished straight down and 2 with slip bobbers as stated above

IceWarriorGill
11-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Never trolled with a bobber....When a fish is on the end of my line and I'm trollin, the bend in the rod tip tells me all I need to know!!! When I sweepset the hook, if nothin happens I know I'm snagged and if it starts swimmin away it's a fish!!! :)

pescatore
11-27-2008, 05:52 PM

deleted

chmee213
11-27-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't have a boat, so trolling is moot. I fish with a slip float with bait or casting in deep water. No float if jigging in wind falls or close to shore.

booger1
11-27-2008, 09:39 PM
oldwun try this- http://www.bulletbobber.com/

Darryl Morris
11-28-2008, 04:50 PM
I have used a 1/2" pencil style slip float when slow trolling for precise depth control and as a strike indicator. Of course, the faster you move the more weight used which sinks the float. But, just reel it up till the float is at the surface of the water. It does help see the lighter bites, when they're just messing with the minnow, then you can get off the trolling motor. The change in speed sometimes triggers a bite.