PDA

View Full Version : Question for those that use Blakemore reel magic

lungbuster
11-24-2008, 05:28 PM
I am real concerned with scent elimination. Have any of you that have used the Blakemore reel magic on your lines felt that it leaves a residue that might have an adverse effect the fish, ie residue on line, etc.

Scrapper
11-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I use it on my bass rods and love it...I have never really thought about it leaving a residue...I do know that when I use it I get it all over the reel...I never feel anything on it. I have never smelt it or anything. I know it REALLY helps the ease at which the line leaves the spool. Really smooths it out..and really helps reduce memory...I also use it on my braided line. Just my thoughts..I love the stuff..use it on all my reels.

CrappieHound
11-24-2008, 05:40 PM
What I do is spray the line that is on the reel. That way you have all the line that runs through the guides and 5ft. or so that is hanging from the pole that doesn't have any chemical on it. That gives you about 12ft. of "clean" line. It's not going onto the spool anyway. Stuff works and I have never had a problem with it.

I would only do one or two spools and if you think it may have an adverse affect, then I would pick up a rod with no Blakemnore on it and see if it makes any difference. Just be sure that the jig or setup is the same and that the Blakemore is the only varible in the two rigs.

What I would do...if that's any help.

The Hound

LOZcrappie
11-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Gotta say, I've never had any problems with scent using it and I use a short rod for dock fishing. In fact, I think it may help somewhat.

klight1122
11-24-2008, 09:14 PM
I use it all the time....I have not noticed any problems from it!

skiptomylu
11-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Just make sure you don't get the stuff Bass Pro Sells as it is the pump spray and is not he same as the aerosol, not even close.

lungbuster
11-24-2008, 11:07 PM
thanks guys, I appreciate the input

DENNIS BOWERS
11-25-2008, 06:24 AM
I"ve used it for a couple years on all my reels. Never noticed any adverse affects at all. Plenty of benifits though as mentioned, plus it prevents iceing in rod eyes,ect.! Reduced Memory is the Best!!

fingerlicken
11-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I use it everytime I go out and I don't think it hurts a thing.

BLoCLevel
11-25-2008, 10:00 AM
What do you feel like the difference is between the spray and areosol.
Neal

fishdoc
11-25-2008, 10:02 AM
I have to respool a lot. I spray it on a folded paper towel and then run my line thru the folded towel when respoolin. also works great for keepin yur rod eyes clean an slick. catch several thousand fish a yr, they seem to like the smell, if there is any.

skiptomylu
11-25-2008, 03:08 PM
What do you feel like the difference is between the spray and areosol.
Neal

I bought some of the pump spray before I knew better and it is milky and has a film it leaves behind (maybe even a little sticky). The aerosol has no such film that is a bad thing and make everything work better. That stuff is good for so many different materials it is great. The Pump stuff sux major!

I did call Blakemore back then to find out what was wrong and they were the ones that told me they are not the same product. The stuff in the pump for sure does not make things slide better and I think will not help you casting distance or anything else IMHO.

Skip

IceWarriorGill
11-27-2008, 10:43 AM
I use the aerosol spray (in the blue metal can) and have used it for years and spray it on my reel and on the line on the spool for lubricant and to reduce line twist, and have caught many, many fish with it fresh on my line. I do use scent on all my artificials but have never had any bad effects from using the Reel Magic (I luv it!!!!)

bigfish5
11-27-2008, 11:52 AM
The Blakemore Stuff Is Ok . But I Like Tangle Free Better. It Seems Like It Really Makes The Line Limp And I Have Never Had Any Ill Effects From It. I Have Been Using It For Years. It Does Get Hard To Find Sometimes But I Just Asked A Local Tackle Store To Stock It. The Owner Fishes. He Tried It And Liked It So Now He Keeps A Good Supply On The Shelf.

speckfinder
11-27-2008, 01:12 PM
I have heard Real Magic is only silicone---does anybody know?

CrappiePappy
11-27-2008, 11:29 PM
I have heard Real Magic is only silicone---does anybody know?

Real Magic is "mostly" a silicone based product, with UV protectants added, and petroleum distillates as a propellant.

... cp :cool:

beagle man
11-28-2008, 08:40 AM
I use the pump bottle,and was not to impressed. no complaints just not to impressed but I did not know there would be a difference in spray vs pump will give it a try. dang learned something new again on here THANKS

skiptomylu
11-28-2008, 10:08 AM
I use the pump bottle,and was not to impressed. no complaints just not to impressed but I did not know there would be a difference in spray vs pump will give it a try. dang learned something new again on here THANKS

I didn't care for the pump stuff at all. I couldn't find it at the time and found it at Bass Pro so thought great now can find it easy. However when I got the pump stuff was really disappointed and ended up calling Blakemore and ordering the aerosol once I found out it was a totally different product. Love the aerosol and didn't care for the pump so sent it back to Bass Pro.

Skip

Cincinnati
11-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Actually guys, I didn't like the pump version I bought at BP myself, It seemed to gum
up the bail wire - keeping it from closing. I stripped the line, rinsed everything off with
Simple Green, and reused some "Three in one." oil. No problems since, and it has kinda
soured me on trying anything new with my fishing equipment, or line.

And I am certainly glad I didn't spray it on my Kahr P45!

Gloves up!