Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sugar Beach, AL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sugar Beach, AL

Anyone fish near there? Rented a condo for a week and taking my wife there over Christmas break. Thought I might bring a pole along to fish for one of the days. I don't know anything about saltwater fishing, so any tips would be helpful!
    Thanks!
    -Shonn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shild View Post
    Anyone fish near there? Rented a condo for a week and taking my wife there over Christmas break. Thought I might bring a pole along to fish for one of the days. I don't know anything about saltwater fishing, so any tips would be helpful!
    Thanks!
    -Shonn
    Hi
    I thought I knew most of the places over in Baldwin County but cannot place it nor can I find it on Mapquest ... What is the mailing address ?

Mite could give you a hand if knew this info.

JSC
    JSC On The Choctawhatchee

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the area you are going to but if you are going to be fishing from the surf, I would recommend 25 to 30 lb line and if you are going to be fishing from a boat, I would recommend 12 to 15 lb line. You can use the same rods you use for bass fishing and you should be fine as long as you have a good drag. Good Luck and give us a report when you get back.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSC View Post
    Hi
    I thought I knew most of the places over in Baldwin County but cannot place it nor can I find it on Mapquest ... What is the mailing address ?

Mite could give you a hand if knew this info.

JSC
    I think it's maybe the same as Orange Beach, cause that's the town's name. 20 minutes from Foley, AL. That's all I know...haha

Post Thanks / Like

We vacation in Gulf Shores, AL ,just west of Orange Beach, almost every year. In the surf this time of year you might hook into a big bull redfish. You can use your bass gear. A six and a half or seven foot pole in medium or medium-heavy action, a good spinning reel with some good 12 to 14 pound test mono or a braid with lower diameter/higher pound test (the braid will let you cast farther). You will probably want to use a flourocarbon leader in the 20 pound test range. Get you some gold or sliver (I like gold better) casting spoons in 1/3 ounce to 1 ounce size and throw them as far out into the surf as you can and reel back with a steady retrieve. When your done for the day don't forget to rinse off ALL of your gear, especially your reel. The saltwater will ruin gear in a hurry. Top Gun Tackle is in the Winn-Dixie shopping center there in Orange Beach, real nice people. Stop in and they can tell you what is biting and how to catch them. If you like big boats check out Orange Beach Marina and right across the street is Tacky Jacks, great place for lunch. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

TNMULE pretty well gave you a good start.

Jigs also work real well, bucktails to soft plastic dressed.

You can bottom fish with live or frozen shrimp or cut bait .. Use a double drop rig and a 1 oz pyramid sinker ... Reds and Whiteing would be the main target now. Back in the Bay Red Fish & the # 1 now is Speckeled Trout.

Ask around some of the Tackle Shops ... There are several on the beach road and some larger ones across on the bay road.

Hope that will give You a start.

JSC
    JSC On The Choctawhatchee

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent information! Don't know if I'll be able to fish or not, but wanted to get some info just in case. Maybe a shopping day with the wife will be rewarded with a day of fishing! haha

Thanks again, guys! If you're ever up in illinois near Lake Shelbyville, let me know--crappie fishing trip's on me! :-)

-Shonn