Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big "E"

Post Thanks / Like

Default big "E"....about virus O/T

I just saw your post on the "bagle or beagle" worm showing up in several emails sent from members. What does it look like when you receive it? I ask because I sent another member an email and he saw something about it that made him think it could have the worm in it. I've done a number of scans with my virus program (Norton Symantec) and it has shown no viruses. I get updates frequently from Norton, hope they have it covered. Does it come strictly in an attatchment? I've gotten 3 emails in the last 2 months that Norton would not let me open due to "infected mail". None of them came from crappie.com. Norton scans both incoming and outgoing mail, and I have felt fairly safe with it. I would appreciate your input....thanks. If anyone else knows some detail about this bug, feel free to post.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Virus

I just got it this past week, and it was in an attachment. Stupid move on my part, opening the attachment. It wasn't from Crappie.com, but I thought it was a reply for an item I had for sale on another board. Norton caught it immediately, but it still required me to go thru the debug process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    I just got it this past week, and it was in an attachment. Stupid move on my part, opening the attachment. It wasn't from Crappie.com, but I thought it was a reply for an item I had for sale on another board. Norton caught it immediately, but it still required me to go thru the debug process.
    Hey, Shellback......I'm happy to hear Norton caught it, gives me assurance that mine will too. Apparantly it enters in attatchments only and leaves as an attatchment on outgoing mail. Don't know much about it yet, but I'm diggin' and lookin'. Thanks for the heads up.......

fishinboat Guest

Talking bug

im glad to have norton too. think i will check now for updates..

Post Thanks / Like

I have my Norton's "Live Update", which downloads and installs the latest virus definitions, set to run as a scheduled task at 1:00 and "Virus Scan" to run at 1:30 every morning.

Another thing you can do to help prevent viruses is to run your “Windows Update” at least weekly to install fixes for known vulnerabilities in your operating system (assuming you’re using Windows).

The jerks that right these viruses are always trying to find new ways to access computers and you have to stay one step ahead. My wife has Windows XP and her computer got a virus directly from the web without her opening any attachements because she hadn't updated her operating system.

With my email address all over the web I pick up a ton of unsolicited email and a lot of it has viruses attached. So far Norton’s has caught everything. But it has to be updated every time a new virus comes out.

Norton’s also has an excellent “Spam Blocker”, which includes “Add Blocker” and “Pop Up Blocker” – it saves me a lot of time and trouble.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Virus

Just an additional note, My Norton software picked it up, but it did require me to go thru the debug, big hassle for computer illiterate's like myself. The good thing is, I knew I had it and was directed to the way to remove it, without me passing it on to others.

Post Thanks / Like

It can be a pain to debug a computer - much easier to catch them before they get in, which Norton's should do if you keep it updated.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default XP Upgrade

Windows XP Service Pack II is available. Be careful. It will lock up older computers. It is a big big patch (fix). Also Norton's latest release will lock up some databases if you are networked lan. This happened to me just last week. Had to backtrack to older version Norton. I am sure they will fix it though. Norton is good stuff. Don't leave home without it.

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten the virus about ten times always in an attachment and my nortons catches it every time.It didnt come from the crappie.com board itself, it came from a member.I've sent him emails and posted but haven't heard back.I think his machine may be out of his control or something .Thats what I hear those things will do to your machine.It's came from the same person everytime but another board member has received it from a different person.Thats all I know about it.Thank god for nortons.Eric.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Norton Antivirus

When I was sent an e-mail and opened the attachment, Norton Antivirus advised me of the Bagel or whatever virus. It then stated that it could not repair the files nor quarintine the virus. I assumed I had to go thru the whole debugging routine. Was I correct in doing the debugging, or had Norton already dealt with the virus when it discovered it? Thanks, Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast