Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need A Recipe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need A Recipe

A guy gave me 2 stocked rainbow trout (about 14in. without the head) and I want to cook them tonight. Maybe something on the charcoal?
    Thanks in advance
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Trout are very light fleshed, and flakey. This is tough to grill. I would suggest maybe broiling instead if you want to go that route. For the most part, light breading, and baking or frying are about the easiest ways to prepare Trout.

One thing I have done which is a little bizzarre, but tastes awesome is to bury prepared pouches in the coals of a came fire. You need heavy grade foil to do this. Just put in lots of butter, onions, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, and any seasonings you want to use. Seal this up in a foil pouch, and bury it under the coals of a campfire fire before you hit the hay. The next morning, just pull the packets out, and eat them. Works with raw hamburger or steak(add potatoes to those) too. Really tastes amazing! <,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    Trout are very light fleshed, and flakey. This is tough to grill. I would suggest maybe broiling instead if you want to go that route. For the most part, light breading, and baking or frying are about the easiest ways to prepare Trout.

One thing I have done which is a little bizzarre, but tastes awesome is to bury prepared pouches in the coals of a came fire. You need heavy grade foil to do this. Just put in lots of butter, onions, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, and any seasonings you want to use. Seal this up in a foil pouch, and bury it under the coals of a campfire fire before you hit the hay. The next morning, just pull the packets out, and eat them. Works with raw hamburger or steak(add potatoes to those) too. Really tastes amazing! <,"}/>{ Rippa

Hey Tim -

That is a pretty crazy idea, BUT I LOVE IT!

The meat doesn't get overcooked at all??

I think I may have to try that VERY SOON!!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nope!

Tastes great, but it is definitely not a recipee for those watching their cholesterol! This will retain all of the meat de Jour's natural fats & juices. I didn't get fat on accident! LOL :p <,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    Tastes great, but it is definitely not a recipee for those watching their cholesterol! This will retain all of the meat de Jour's natural fats & juices. I didn't get fat on accident! LOL :p <,"}/>{ Rippa

Oh man...that is too funny!! :D

I will keep that in mind!!!

Thanks Tim!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Trading the trout for some crappie then frying the crappie is the only way I know to cook a trout.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that gooch!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Wish I had seen this earlier

Here are two ways I fix trout. I leave the head on when I clean them, but headless is okay, too. Be sure that vein along the spine is thoroughly cleaned out or your meat will be strong tasting.

Trout Almondine

Lay your fish in a shallow dish and cover with evaporated milk. Let it stand for about twenty minutes. In the meantime, heat up some oil (or butter, if your a purist who doesn't watch cholesterol levels) in a cast iron skillet. Mix equal amounts of flour and cornstarch and coat the trout inside and out. Sprinkle with a little mustard powder and black peper and place in the skillet. Cook for about ten minutes and flip with a spatula. While cooking the other side, throw in a generous amount of sliced almonds and a tablespoon of butter. Serve the trout with a scoop of the almonds and a wedge of lemon. Goes great with Uncle Ben's wild rice and steamed asparagus or a salad.

Grilled Trout

Baste the trout inside and out with a mix of lemon juice and olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder and put some fresh dill in the body cavity. (If you don't have fresh dill, put dried dillweed in the lemon and oil mixture. Place on a sheet of Reynolds Release foil and grill one side until done, Carefully flip to cook the other side. Serve with a baked potato and a salad.
    Bon apetit! - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I just gained 2 lbs reading this thread.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I do. Gut, rinse, dry. Get spicetime cajun seasoning or the high dollar alternatives. Slap inside and out. Throw on grill till skin starts blistering up.
    Enjoy.