PDA

View Full Version : Rattlesnakes and Lakes -They don't mix well

Mud-Dabber
11-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Check this out, sent by a friend recently:

At Lake Falcon

BassFan.com (http://bassfan.com/tv_play.asp?id=119)

I saw the same thing at Lake Stamford several years ago, it got caught up in someone's ski rope they were trailing.

Good Fishing,
Mud-Dabber, Ron

Outlaw1&2
11-21-2008, 02:41 PM
WoW I never had a clue a rattler would go near or in water like that, learn something new everyday.

STUMP HUNTER
11-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Rule #1---leave the snake alone!!!!!!!
That is the only rule you need to know.....

MontanaBoy
11-21-2008, 05:22 PM
That is a crazy. I fish out of a float tube........ I sure hope that snake doesn't find the water I fish in!!

poppop
11-21-2008, 06:25 PM
That made me sick on my stomach....I am skeered of snakes.

bulldog007
11-21-2008, 06:41 PM
:eek: Those rattlesnakes are VERY DANGEROUS. My uncle almost got bit by one trying to get it with a boat oar. He said that thing ran up the ore right at him and just about got him. He was taken by suprise at how fast it was even in the water. He said it was not as fast as the 22mag though. He said it sank like a rock. :D

grub meister
11-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Rule #2---leave the snake alone - STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

bulldog007
11-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Rule #2---leave the snake along - STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

However I do not see any reason to call anyone STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
Some people just do not understand how dangerous these things can be. Thats all.:)

Minnerman
11-22-2008, 12:57 AM
We killed a 39" rattle snake with a boat paddle that acted just like the one in the video. My dad popped him with the paddle and I dipped him with the net and then we killed him once he was in the boat.

CrappiePappy
11-22-2008, 02:00 AM
However I do not see any reason to call anyone STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
Some people just do not understand how dangerous these things can be. Thats all.:)

I don't believe Grub Meister was calling anyone here, stupid. I believe he was saying it's "stupid" to mess with a rattler BECAUSE of how dangerous they are.

... cp :cool:

8fishermen
11-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Me and a buddy ran across a rattlesnake swimming the Pearl river here in MS when I was a kid. I remember that it appeared to float on the water. It's body seemed to glide on top of the water so high that it didn't appear to get good traction. It made a lot of movement for not a lot water covered. There was also some current through there and the thing was working overtime to get to the other side. It actually stopped and rested in the sand when it finally made it out of the water. The snake was over 6' long. I used to kill all snakes, then I realized I hate rats worse than snakes.:D

wasabi
11-22-2008, 08:46 AM
OK, maybe the guy isn't "STUPID" but how about just not smart? No reason to needlessly kill anything. A true outdoorsman knows that.

wrwest
11-23-2008, 10:09 AM
I do my best to fallow rule #1, on land and water...

Fatman
11-23-2008, 11:44 AM
That was one big rattler!!!!!!!!!! In or out of water I'm gone.

Fatman

jroz
11-23-2008, 12:33 PM
neat video never seen a rattler in the water

Crappie Reaper
11-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't believe Grub Meister was calling anyone here, stupid. I believe he was saying it's "stupid" to mess with a rattler BECAUSE of how dangerous they are.

... cp :cool:

That's how I took it to read too Pappy. Things like this are what create Darwin award winners. Usually begins with someone yelling...."Hey ya'll watch this"!

klight1122
11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
If you are close enough to identify it, you are to close for me. I totaly agree with rule # 1...... Fire up the big motor and get the heck out of there!

Uncle Grump
11-25-2008, 09:01 AM
That video is as close as I want to get to one of them nasty things.....

UG

birddog
11-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Fishing with my Dad years ago we had a cottonmouth drop in the boat with us. I wouldn't get back in the boat until it was dead. Dad couldn't throw it back in the water 'cause I was floating along side the boat.

I hate snakes of any kind.

fingerlicken
11-25-2008, 09:49 AM
That video is as close as I want to get to one of them nasty things.....

UG

I agree

FisherMike
11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
OK, maybe the guy isn't "STUPID" but how about just not smart? No reason to needlessly kill anything. A true outdoorsman knows that.

Well said.

DeadHead
11-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Live and let live unless somebody or something has a problem with my being in the world of the living...;)

grub meister
11-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Wow!! Gone for a couple of days and all heck breaks loose. Thanks to all of you that defended my post. My intentions with the post was that what they were doing was stupid. Messing with a poisonous snakes in late fall or early spring is not a good time to be playing around with them. Just after coming out of hibernation or just before going into hibernation is when a snake is the most tempermental. One wrap around the end of that fishing rod with it's tail and the snake could be in that fellows face before he cound let go or turn his face. When the snake turned to leave, they should have done what rule #1 and rule #2 stated - Leave the snake alone! And there was no reason to kill the snake, just re-direct it away from the boat and let it go it's way.

Sorry about the conflict and remember rule #1 and rule #2. :D

bulldog007
11-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Not I. I kill every poisonous snake I can kill. Were I am at they are to many to go around. I do not like the idea of my little gril or another child getting on one that I let go. I do not play around with them though. I just kill them.

IceWarriorGill
11-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Agree with Bulldog007!! Where I used to live in Virginia (Midlothian), there were Copperheads all over the place, even crawling through people's yards where children play. Would kill'em (if a neighbor called me or if I found 'em in my yard) as there were many small children in our neighborhood who could have gotten hurt if they had stepped on'em. However, if I find one in the wild, I let it do its own thing as long as it's not botherin anyone.

FishnLine
11-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Boy that brings back memories. I ran across a big diamond back in Lake Eufaula, AL several years ago. I didn't know until that day, that a snake could coil up and strike while they were in the water.

captaindan
11-28-2008, 02:51 PM
where was your common sense? I think I would have left the snake alone.

kycreek
11-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I never knew rattle snakes could swim. I want no part of that.

wasabi
11-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Not I. I kill every poisonous snake I can kill. Were I am at they are to many to go around. I do not like the idea of my little gril or another child getting on one that I let go.

Bulldog,

Wouldn't the smart thing be to not live where your child has a likelihood of being bitten by a poisonous snake? You can't kill them all.

slab_slayin_fool
11-28-2008, 05:01 PM
i kill all poisonous snakes also i think we can live without them just fine

here in wv a few years ago a little boy was killed by baby copperheads long story short dnr officer walked by him and asked how they were biting boy said fish aren't but the worms are dnr officer walked back by him a minute or 2 later he was dead and the officer noticed the snakes crawling out of his little can