Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Redman 5/27

Post Thanks / Like

Default Redman 5/27

Took a quick trip to Redman Friday evening. Wanted to get some time in before the weekenders started showing up.
    Ended up with a little over 60 fish in the boat between 6:30-9:00pm. Nothing huge, but kept two for lunch that went over 11".
    Water temp was 70-71º in the cove I fished. All fish coming from wood structure in water 5-8' deep. Quite a few of the fish were still really dark, leading me to believe they are still spawning.
    All the fish hit the only jig I used all night:

Started with this Saturday morning (they spent the night in the livewell):

After a few minutes "old school" filleting (manual fillet knife), this is what went to waste:

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a good time on Friday night.

It's fun to catch fish steady!

What size is that jig? 1/32??

How were you fishing, fan-casting around structure with a slow retrieve??

I can't wait to get some of your jigs to try out!!!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

That's a 1/64oz. head on a #10 hook. (4lb. line)
    Never made a cast. I was using a 10'6" rod - just pulled enough line out that the jig touched the cork handle, and dabbled it around the structure. The fish were without doubt active; they hit with that telltale "thump". I would just pull the fish out of cover and swing them into the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    That's a 1/64oz. head on a #10 hook. (4lb. line)
    Never made a cast. I was using a 10'6" rod - just pulled enough line out that the jig touched the cork handle, and dabbled it around the structure. The fish were without doubt active; they hit with that telltale "thump". I would just pull the fish out of cover and swing them into the boat.
    I thought it looked a little smaller than a 1/32.....

That is SUCH a fun way to fish......I would rather do that than casting!!!

I am glad to hear you had such an easy time!!!

SOOO....that jig works! Ha ha!!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Yeap - already some in your "stash". The only difference is the ones you'll get can see (have eyes). That prototype was blind - and really wasn't an intended color combination. But it works, so I'm going to keep it as an offering.
    Told Mrs. Zig, "I'll be back in about an hour"..................at 7:30 I called her and said, "I'm going to stay a little longer then I thought I would."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    Yeap - already some in your "stash". The only difference is the ones you'll get can see (have eyes). That prototype was blind - and really wasn't an intended color combination. But it works, so I'm going to keep it as an offering.
    Told Mrs. Zig, "I'll be back in about an hour"..................at 7:30 I called her and said, "I'm going to stay a little longer then I thought I would."
    Excellent!! I can't wait to try them.....in fact, I may try to go this weekend and try the method you used below....is it called, "Poling", or "Long Poling"...something like that??? Not that it matters a whole lot, it is fun to catch fish that way.......I may try to go this weekend and use that technique.

Ha ha....you have no idea how many times I have had to make that phone call....luckily my wife is very understanding and her daddy is also a Pro on the Crappie USA circuit. He has raised her right...ha ha!!! Now, I have learned just to say, "I'll give you a call when I am on the way home..."

Talk to you soon!
    - GABoy
    ><)))*>