Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Couldn't keep it (Photo)

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Couldn't keep it (Photo)

to myself! My friend Jimmy Houston and I just had to talk about our favorite passtime of crappie fishing. If any of you ever have a chance to meet him, then take advantage of the opportunity. The man is a wealth of knowledge about fishin4crappie. He did ask me what I had been working on lately and I told him all about the "Dropper Knocker" pinmin. He said that would probably work and continued to encourage me. Here is a photo of Jimmy and I and for those who missed my thread, here is information on the "Dropper Knocker" double jig/rig.

It is a known fact that all fish will eat off the bottom. Different “Search lures” have been in existence for over 30 years. The beauty of my dropper rig that I personally created and solder together is that it can be used as a search lure, a dropper rig on the bottom and also fished very effectively beneath a slip float. It has a soldered snap swivel and pinmin combination that acts as a weight and attractor and allows you to attach a small finesse jig that triggers fish into biting. You can jig this rig up and down off the bottom to attract fish or you can swim it under a slip float. The nickel finish and the colors on the pinmin weight really attract fish. As a bonus, they will often hit the hook on the pinmin. The loop knot keeps the small jig acting properly. It allows it to be free riding so that it flutters and looks realistic to the fish. When fished under a slip float the waves will impart all the action that is needed.

Smallmouth, Crappie, Shell crackers, Deep Bluegills, Perch and Trout will all hit this setup.

Quote December 4, 2008 from Doug Stange, Editor in Chief In-Fisherman Magazine. "Michael, The dropper rig looks good. I’ve watched a lot of underwater video of dropper rigs in action and there are a lot of times the fish hit the spoon instead of the dropper jig; so your single-hook on the weight idea is a good one. "
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 12-04-2008 at 02:45 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ship that sounds like a good idea to try,I gonna try it, always open to try new things.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ship, I kept looking & looking at the picture...If you had a little fatter cheeks, darker glasses & blonde hair you could win a Jimmy Houston look alike contest..

My money says you are a better crappie fisherman than he is..
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG View Post
    Ship, I kept looking & looking at the picture...If you had a little fatter cheeks, darker glasses & blonde hair you could win a Jimmy Houston look alike contest..

My money says you are a better crappie fisherman than he is..
    I was the Black sheep of the family. :D:D:D:D Jimmy Houston,Steve McCadams, Bill Dance and Al Linder are all crappie fishermen I emulate and admire for the quality of their fishing shows on Crappie. They are teachers of the sport instead of "Look at this here big one........" and trying to blatantly hawk a product like Roland Martin or the Wisconsin Fisherman.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 11-21-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    I was the Black sheep of the family. :D:D:D:D Jimmy Houston,Steve McCadams, Bill Dance and Al Linder are all crappie fishermen I emulate and admire.

:D:D:D

How is Steve doing? I heard that he was pretty sick a while back...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I last heard from Steve about two weeks ago. He is doing fine and back to guiding. Here is his email. He does answer people.
    Steve McCadams [email protected]

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice picture, but you didnt show ANY crappie
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Good lookin rig---looks like it would catch fish
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I actually got to meet Jimmy at an autograhph session during a tournament on Lake Champlain one time he's just the same in person as he is on his show.
    Just a real nice guy.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be knockin those Wisconsin boys Ship my friend. Where do you think Linder hails from? Those boys know how to put fish in the boat as good as anyone I know, and they are really good guys too. I have met a bunch of them and their mission is to help people catch more fish and they do. No one can make it big in the fishing media without hawkin goods and your southern boys are hawkin them as hard as they can as well. Fortunately for us the free market still works in the fishing industry as it was intended, unlike banks and cars. We should embrace the selling. I do. The fishing industry is one place I pay attention to the ads. :D
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 11-22-2008 at 03:40 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast