PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't keep it (Photo)

shipahoy41
11-21-2008, 08:52 AM
to myself! My friend Jimmy Houston and I just had to talk about our favorite passtime of crappie fishing. If any of you ever have a chance to meet him, then take advantage of the opportunity. The man is a wealth of knowledge about fishin4crappie. He did ask me what I had been working on lately and I told him all about the "Dropper Knocker" pinmin. He said that would probably work and continued to encourage me. Here is a photo of Jimmy and I and for those who missed my thread, here is information on the "Dropper Knocker" double jig/rig.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/CRAPPIEDOTCOM/Shipahoy41andJimmyHouston.jpg

It is a known fact that all fish will eat off the bottom. Different “Search lures” have been in existence for over 30 years. The beauty of my dropper rig that I personally created and solder together is that it can be used as a search lure, a dropper rig on the bottom and also fished very effectively beneath a slip float. It has a soldered snap swivel and pinmin combination that acts as a weight and attractor and allows you to attach a small finesse jig that triggers fish into biting. You can jig this rig up and down off the bottom to attract fish or you can swim it under a slip float. The nickel finish and the colors on the pinmin weight really attract fish. As a bonus, they will often hit the hook on the pinmin. The loop knot keeps the small jig acting properly. It allows it to be free riding so that it flutters and looks realistic to the fish. When fished under a slip float the waves will impart all the action that is needed.

Smallmouth, Crappie, Shell crackers, Deep Bluegills, Perch and Trout will all hit this setup.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/CRAPPIEDOTCOM/Mikesdropperloopjigrig.jpg

Quote December 4, 2008 from Doug Stange, Editor in Chief In-Fisherman Magazine. "Michael, The dropper rig looks good. I’ve watched a lot of underwater video of dropper rigs in action and there are a lot of times the fish hit the spoon instead of the dropper jig; so your single-hook on the weight idea is a good one. "

Outlaw1&2
11-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Hey Ship that sounds like a good idea to try,I gonna try it, always open to try new things.

Don G
11-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Ship, I kept looking & looking at the picture...If you had a little fatter cheeks, darker glasses & blonde hair you could win a Jimmy Houston look alike contest..:)

My money says you are a better crappie fisherman than he is..

shipahoy41
11-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Ship, I kept looking & looking at the picture...If you had a little fatter cheeks, darker glasses & blonde hair you could win a Jimmy Houston look alike contest..:)

My money says you are a better crappie fisherman than he is..

I was the Black sheep of the family. :D:D:D:D Jimmy Houston,Steve McCadams, Bill Dance and Al Linder are all crappie fishermen I emulate and admire for the quality of their fishing shows on Crappie. They are teachers of the sport instead of "Look at this here big one........" and trying to blatantly hawk a product like Roland Martin or the Wisconsin Fisherman.

Don G
11-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I was the Black sheep of the family. :D:D:D:D Jimmy Houston,Steve McCadams, Bill Dance and Al Linder are all crappie fishermen I emulate and admire.

:D:D:D

How is Steve doing? I heard that he was pretty sick a while back...

shipahoy41
11-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I last heard from Steve about two weeks ago. He is doing fine and back to guiding. Here is his email. He does answer people.
Steve McCadams stevemc@charter.net

Bob # 1
11-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Very nice picture, but you didnt show ANY crappie :confused:

frank lawhead
11-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Good lookin rig---looks like it would catch fish:):)

Fatman
11-22-2008, 11:31 AM
I actually got to meet Jimmy at an autograhph session during a tournament on Lake Champlain one time he's just the same in person as he is on his show.
Just a real nice guy.

Fatman

GRIZZ
11-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Don't be knockin those Wisconsin boys Ship my friend. Where do you think Linder hails from? Those boys know how to put fish in the boat as good as anyone I know, and they are really good guys too. I have met a bunch of them and their mission is to help people catch more fish and they do. No one can make it big in the fishing media without hawkin goods and your southern boys are hawkin them as hard as they can as well. Fortunately for us the free market still works in the fishing industry as it was intended, unlike banks and cars. We should embrace the selling. I do. The fishing industry is one place I pay attention to the ads. :D

shipahoy41
11-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Don't be knockin those Wisconsin boys Ship my friend. Where do you think Linder hails from? Those boys know how to put fish in the boat as good as anyone I know, and they are really good guys too. I have met a bunch of them and their mission is to help people catch more fish and they do. No one can make it big in the fishing media without hawkin goods and your southern boys are hawkin them as hard as they can as well. Fortunately for us the free market still works in the fishing industry as it was intended, unlike banks and cars. We should embrace the selling. I do. The fishing industry is one place I pay attention to the ads. :D

Hey Grizz. I am not knocking Wisconsin Fishermen. I apologize if any of you took it personally. I just like teaching fishing shows as opposed to "Look - a - here - boys..." all the time. Show us how you caught the fish and not no much blatantly hawking the commercial aspect of this industry. I do like the commercials also. I think sponsors get more bang for their buck during the commercials than during the show.

Al Linder is one of my mentors and one of my heros. He is one of the great ones. Angling Edge and Fishing edge are quality teaching shows. No bailout for the fishing industry. The free market system is alive and well. I'd hate to speculate how much I have invested in this industry.:D:D:D:D The returns are in when a Crappie hits my lures. I feel good...good...good!:D:):):)

shipahoy41
11-22-2008, 08:58 PM
:D
Very nice picture, but you didnt show ANY crappie :confused:

If you believe then no proof is necessary. If you don't believe then no proof is sufficient. The proof is in my big old belly. :D:D:D:D

shipahoy41
11-23-2008, 06:48 AM
:D

If you believe then no proof is necessary. If you don't believe then no proof is sufficient. The proof is in my big old belly. :D:D:D:D

Everyone has a hero. I have three very precious memories from my crappie fishing role models.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/CRAPPIEDOTCOM/AlLinderwebpagecomments.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/CRAPPIEDOTCOM/ALLINDERANGLINGEDGE.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/CRAPPIEDOTCOM/MacCadams_web_photo_0.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/CRAPPIEDOTCOM/JimmyHoustonAnthonyandme2.jpg

As I said. "If you believe then no proof is necessary. If you do not believe, then no proof will be sufficient."

AmileGrace
11-23-2008, 10:03 AM
jimmy been shooting any penned up drugged up deer lately?

chaunc
11-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Why do you want to start that BS here. Start your own thread. Dont hi-jack Ship's.

Perch Jerker35
11-23-2008, 11:29 AM
All right!

beagle man
11-23-2008, 12:41 PM
shipahoy shipahoy shipahoy41 why must you say the things you say about Roland Martin or the wisconsin boys when in my opinion all you do is hawk your wares on here. Give yourself another pat on your back.

Ragfly Jig Man
11-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Ship, your lures are top notch and I love that new one. It looks like a killer for some of those big slabs. I will fish with your lures but I will never associate with someone like Jimmy Houston.

shipahoy41
11-23-2008, 05:16 PM
shipahoy shipahoy shipahoy41 why must you say the things you say about Roland Martin or the wisconsin boys when in my opinion all you do is hawk your wares on here. Give yourself another pat on your back.

Give me a break Beagle! You are so far from the truth my friend. Go back and read this thread. You will see that it is giving people step by step instructions how they can make this setup themselves. Go back and read the thread "How to solder." Again, it is giving you step by step instructions how to do something. The diagrams of basic rig set-ups is intended for people with youth fishing programs to help them teach youth. None of that is "Hawking." That is being educational, informative and helpful...not "Hawking!"

If I were "Hawking my wares" then you would see a thread every day entitled "What do you think?" My threads are educational and informative as to those techniques the average type fisherman would enjoy as well as how you can duplicate or create the same thing. Having said that, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

I do not need to be "Patted on my back." My thank you comes from when individuals, youth and adult, say I have helped them or they got interested in creating their own jigs because of something I suggested to them.

I speak for myself and do not constantly "Hawk my products blatantly." I will show you how something I did for myself made my fishing easier or more productive. If you are not impressed then so be it. I stand by all my threads and what I have stated herewith.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/CRAPPIEDOTCOM/Mikesdropperloopjigrig.jpg

beagle man
11-24-2008, 06:59 PM
noticed you did not address my statement that you should not have mentioned Roland Martin or the northern boys and that was what my post was about not about that rig you conjured up.

Big George
11-24-2008, 07:02 PM
I used to bow fish tournament against his son Jamie and Jimmy would come to the weigh in when he was around he is a very nice guy and I see him regularly as he doesnt live very far from here

shipahoy41
11-26-2008, 05:38 PM
noticed you did not address my statement that you should not have mentioned Roland Martin or the northern boys and that was what my post was about not about that rig you conjured up.

Beagle Man, I watch more fishing shows which feature the techniques of crappie fishing along with underwater footage. My hat is still off to Al Linder, Steve McCadams, Russ Bailey, Jimmy Houston and when he does a crappie fiiiishing show Hank Parker. I do enjoy watching their fishing shows.

Baxter1
11-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Nice pics Ship,That's pretty cool to meet and talk with those guys.The Lindners are my favorites.I miss them in In-Fisherman magazine.I haven't seen Jimmy Houston's show in a long time.

IceWarriorGill
11-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey Ship,
Ya got some mighty fine lookin jigs and other products on your site...I've been meanin to get a batch of them and will definitely do so....Maybe Santa can hook me up with some!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!!! :)

shipahoy41
11-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey Ship,
Ya got some mighty fine lookin jigs and other products on your site...I've been meanin to get a batch of them and will definitely do so....Maybe Santa can hook me up with some!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!!! :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too IceWarrior. Thank you for your kind words. Email me shipahoy41@yahoo.com and tell me what you want, or I can send you an order form or just print one off the website.

shipahoy41
12-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Quote December 4, 2008 from Doug Stange, Editor in Chief In-Fisherman Magazine. "Michael, The dropper rig looks good. Iíve watched a lot of underwater video of dropper rigs in action and there are a lot of times the fish hit the spoon instead of the dropper jig; so your single-hook on the weight idea is a good one. "

broncstomper
12-06-2008, 01:00 PM
seems like some people just love to start a fight. good for you not taking the bait ship.

AmileGrace
12-06-2008, 01:15 PM
no its not that, some of us dont appreciate fake people like jimmy houston. any true hunter, fisherman, or naturalists would not associate himself with a scum like jimmy houston who knowingly shot a drugged up pened up deer bronc. if he did this whats to say every fishing show he does there isnt a diver putting fish on his hook or he is fishing some over stocked pay pond. for someone with any standing in fishing community to say they like or support someone who has done what jimmy is done is a dishonor to all the people who fairly hunt, fish and have become celebrities or made lots of money without doing underhanded stuff to make themselves seem better then they are. if jimmy were a true fisherman or hunter he would never had done what he did and thats all im trying to say and its a dishonor to this board for him to be posted here and people think he is the best thing since stink bait

cook
12-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Give it a break! :(

Ol JohnnyBoy
12-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Nice pic Ship. I watch Jimmy's shows alot. He gives some great teaching techniques. Al Linder and Hank Parker are some of my favorites too.:)

brimreaper
12-09-2008, 01:12 AM
I am glad most people in here are more interested in fishing and good natured conversation than there are people that just want to argue. Who benefits from an argument over the forums....nobody...simple waste of everybodies time wading through all the crap....come on guys lets go fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shipahoy41
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
I am glad most people in here are more interested in fishing and good natured conversation than there are people that just want to argue. Who benefits from an argument over the forums....nobody...simple waste of everybodies time wading through all the crap....come on guys lets go fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said Brim!