Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just A Question

Post Thanks / Like

Question Just A Question

I'm just sitting here reading post of all the fish people are catching this week, and I'm out having to keep the economy running and I'm sad.:p What I was wondering was is there a certain water surface temp that gives you a idea when a lake might turnover?
    Crappie don't sleep, is that why I'm so tired?
    Team crappiekingjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

This was from a earlier post. But smithville was 48deg. Tuesday.

Found this kind of explains it some. Hope it helps.

As the days get shorter and cooler, and energy is transported away from/out of the lake, mixing becomes easier. At about 50de, the cooler water (with a higher oxygen content) at the surface begins to sink into and through the thermocline, forcing warmer and less dense water to the surface, eventually erasing the temperature stratification built up over the summer. At some point, the majority of the water in the lake reaches an approximately uniform temperature. Now, storms and sustained high winds can begin to perform the task of overturning and mixing all of the water in the lake -- referred to as fall turnover. The deep water contains an abundance of decaying matter and sulfurous gases; when it reaches the surface, it produces a telltale odor that indicates the process has begun. Eventually the turnover mixes fresh oxygen into the entire lake mass, replenishing the deep waters with the life-giving stuff and cleansing the sulfurous fumes from the water, allowing fish to return to the depths where they will spend the winter months. Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

good report on the how and why there jim c.

Hey lips you keep haulin and payin them taxes I need a raise.. later man

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim, it's pretty interesting.
    Beagle, No commit.
    Crappie don't sleep, is that why I'm so tired?
    Team crappiekingjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dang there minnow lips didn't mean you had to work overtime. just dont miss any days. :o