Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Drifting sabiki/ how much weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drifting sabiki/ how much weight?

Im going to be drifting sabikis across a large lake. The averae depth is 10 feet. If the winds picks up Im going to drift with a five gallon bucket in tow.

How much weight should I use to keep them near the bottom? Has anyone tried the bucket thing?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

At about .7mph or so you should be fine with about an ounce. Any faster and the weight will have to start going up. We tightline water that averages 8 feet with 1.5 ounces at 1.2mph no problem.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Weight on line depend on speed of drift grasshopper. I made a drift sock one time out of a pillow case and a couple of ol wire coat hangers. Sure cut the drift speed down and you could tie it to the front of the boat so the waves would not rock you to heaving. Or, you could go to bass pro and spend a few bucks on one. Not recommended unless your gonna use it a lot.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimecoat View Post
    Im going to be drifting sabikis across a large lake. The averae depth is 10 feet. If the winds picks up Im going to drift with a five gallon bucket in tow.

How much weight should I use to keep them near the bottom? Has anyone tried the bucket thing?

thanks
    I use a bucket to slow me down sometimes. They have a million other uses too.

Post Thanks / Like

I used my drift sock almost every time I went out. Helps control both speed and heading, even when there's very little wind. I also remember the trouble I had before I got it. Have a 30" from BPS that I use on my 175 tracker. My brother put me on to it as he uses them up north all the time fishing waleye.
    Waterboy1