Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: greyed tracker

Post Thanks / Like

Default greyed tracker

Has anyone here tried sharkhide sealer? My new 2008 tracker looks like crap after the summer. Used some oxilic acid to clean scum off, but aluminum still gray. thinking about acid washing and then sealing.
    Waterboy1

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
    Has anyone here tried sharkhide sealer? My new 2008 tracker looks like crap after the summer. Used some oxilic acid to clean scum off, but aluminum still gray. thinking about acid washing and then sealing.
    That's anodized aluminum. Acid wash will destroy the anodizing. That what Tracker folks told me.

Elbow grease and Wenol will clean it. Lots of elbow grease.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Waterboy1 ....

look thru these threads ... see what you can find : Crappie.com - Search Results

... cp

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a fiberglass man myself...but I'm also a shop teacher..I agree with canepole...the acid will hurt the anodization. I would not use it...even if you were going to reseal. If it where me I would get some aluminum polish/cleaner...not acidic...a DA sander...put a buffing wheel on it and go to work...being careful not to burn it. I'm sure they make protection products for them. I would think Bass boat saver would work. You can spray it on anything. I use it religiously. After using it, things in the water will no longer stick to my boat. :D I bet if you googled and looked around you could find something that would do the same on aluminum. just my .02 cents...lol
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done some reading as I would like to know this also...most polishs...even 3M's look like they are not recommended for anodized aluminum. If you loose your anodization you will be okay...but the keeping it clean part will be LABOR intensive from what I have read. I have included some links of interest that I have found you may want to check out.

aluminum boat cleaning - iboats Boating Forums

Aluminum Pontoon Cleaner for pontoon boats

http://www.lorin.com/PDFs/Cleaning_&...d_Aluminum.pdf

Soderbloom's Online Store - HULL BOTTOM CLEANER

The Aluminum Boat and Repair Board

Cleaning

have read about this in a few places and seems to work well

Bar Keepers Friend Product Line--Including Bar Keepers Friend Liquid: Cleaning Supplies,(www.barkeepersfriend.com)

hope this helps...I would like to know what you end up coming up with. good luck!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie don't care if the boat is shiny.

MO
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/mozingo1952/?action=view&current=crappie1010002-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the store, and get some Soft Scrub. Take a 5 gallon bucket,set on it, elbow grease, and have at it. Not that bad. Good luck Doug

Post Thanks / Like

METALL Aluminum Metal Polish. Thats what is used on unpainted aluminun air craft. I used it on my tracker and it cleaned the boat and gave the boat a slick finish, but not a shine from water line down.. May need more elbow than I had.

EJL

Post Thanks / Like

Default It'll damage the finish.

If you spray it with any acidic cleaner(aluminum cleaner or wash), it will change the shine to a gun metal gray. Don't do it. Mother's polish will do wonders but it's all elbow grease. Good luck.
    Amateur Chaser of Those Thump Thumps to
    Raise Those Hand Kandys!

IG: Krappie Krane

Post Thanks / Like

Default Me Too

I found the perfect solution. My Tracker had this problem when it was new as well. All I have done is keep it for 10 years and it don't bother me no more. :D It did when it was new though.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast