Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aberdeen Style Sickle Hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aberdeen Style Sickle Hooks

I've read lots of good reviews about jigs with sickle hooks, even though a few say they don't like them. Just wondering if anybody uses the Aberdeen style sickle hook under a float with a minnow, or for slow trolling minnows......and your likes or dis-likes with hook-ups?
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on ordering some when I put in my next hook order in a few weeks. And give them a try. I think they will work.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Are you gonna use them slow trolling, Mr. Pete?
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

I slow troll and drop shot with a lipped minnow on sickle hook jig heads with great success.

Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried them on simple cork/shot/hook/minnow rigs and thought I saw improvement in the number of hook-ups. Later, however, I mixed in a few standard Aberdeen hooks & didn't see a difference. Maybe I saw what I wanted when I first switched to the sickle hooks.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if the number of hook-ups improves but it sure seems to me that when I'm taking the hook out of one I caught it is a lot harder with a sickle hook. So to me they stay buttoned up better with the sickle IMHO.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, I may be seeing what I want, but the sickle hooks seem to stay sharper longer than standard Aberdeens.
    Fishing since '50!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Sickle Hooks

Thats the only hook i use in jigs, havent tried the aberdeen style, when slow trolling all i use is Wally Marshall cam action. Have only a few minor issues with the sickle hooks, if you get into some hawgs,they tend to straighten out and the point will bend over or break off, but i have had the same thing happen with other hooks when using light wire type. However that only happens on one lake. They do stay sharp longer than the standard jig hook.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Love them sickles

Love the sickle hooks and have now converted most all of my jigheads over to them. I have both aberdeens and regular bronze hooks. I use aberdeens sometimes in heavy cover where I might need to straighten a hook to pull free, but like the bronze in more open water. Doesn't seem to bend quit as easily. Only thing different I do between techniques is match the hook size to what I'm doing, so I use a larger size in my jigheads when casting, trolling or vertical jigging and a smaller size when under a float.

Only negative I've seen is when they do bend out of shape, they are not easy to just reshape back to original angles with just your fingers. I have to use a long nose pliers to get the right bends back.

-T9

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lip Hooked ?

Texascrappiefisherman,

That minner in the pic looks like it's got more than a lip on that hook. Can ya, give a little more info, or a close up

Thanks a bunch, MT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast