Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crapie

Post Thanks / Like

Default crapie

i am new to crappie fishing this year, but im being told its to warm for crappie now. is it ? if not where & when and what techniques. i live in south central middle tenn, iwould appreciate all input on this matter. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Which lakes in Tennessee are you gonna be fishing? Get out in the main channels out away from points with deeper cover for them to suspend over. Bridge pilings are another good place this time of year and deep water docks are also usually good.

Post Thanks / Like

Deep water is relative but if the lake is fairly shallow then deep water can be just 10ft deep or deeper. If your lake is really shallow then look for shady spots. If the lake is over 20ft deep then you should be able to find the fish suspended out in what is called "CONFINED OPEN WATER". Close to the shallow water but out over deeper water. A deep point would be a good example of this. Also if there is a creek or river channel running though the flatland type reseviour then search for the channel breaks and find big turns in the channel and fish the outside edge of the bend and then the inside tongue areas. If your lake has a thermocline then find out where that is located and fish the depths right above the thermocline. Use your depth sounder to find brush along the edge of the channels and or to see the suspended fish or bait fish.

I read that the bigger crappie will hang right below the schools of threadfin shad and be out in the deeper water.

Remember the top ten feet of water is hot but below the 10ft to 20ft levels the water is relatively cold. So the fish will seek their comfort zone and will stay in areas that have a good temp and plenty of Dissolved Oxygen. Check the windward deep sloping points.

Fish will also come up into the shallower waters at night to feed. So during the summer time is a good time to do some night fishing for crappie. That way you don't have to worry about the jet skiers and speed boats bothering you.

A great book to buy and read is the In-Fishermen book called "Crappie Wisdom". It will give you lots of good information on how to catch crappie year round in most lakes of North America.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy
    Which lakes in Tennessee are you gonna be fishing? Get out in the main channels out away from points with deeper cover for them to suspend over. Bridge pilings are another good place this time of year and deep water docks are also usually good.
    Last edited by Moose1am; 05-31-2005 at 12:34 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Confinded?

Post Thanks / Like

No such thing as too warm to find crappie. Caught my biggest fish in the hot months, just not the numbers. I will take quality over quantity anytime.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the input everyone

Post Thanks / Like

[b]

Post Thanks / Like

hey man, the crappie fishin is just about to heat up. Fish at night under lights tightlining minnows. ITs amazing how many crappie will come to those lights. Buy a crappie light at wal mart or hang a lantern onver the side of the boat. Fish in creek or river bends where the channel comes clos to the bank. Or get out in the channel and look for them on the sonar. If you can find em, its all down hill from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Too Hot ????? No such thing ... I actually started targeting crappie for the 1st time last summer in 90+* weather , caught lots of them and have been hooked every since .
    I actually caught my 1st crappie on a chartruse and black curly tailed Roadrunner on a 93* afternoon ....bluebird day !!
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fish the east bank in the morning if it's shaded and the west bank in the afternoon and evening. I catch crappies year round doing this. Water stays cooler in the shaded area and the fish will stay there longer. Make sure you have wood in the water at a couple different depths. I like 6 foot and 10 foot. If the channel swings in towards the shaded spot, all the better. During mid-day, with the sun directly overhead, i go to the bridges and fish the concrete thats in the shade. I find most fish in my lake 7 foot down, right next to the pilings. i catch fish all season using these spots. Hope they work for you too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast