Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!! My Dog Has Been Skunked!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help!! My Dog Has Been Skunked!!!

I posted on the off topic forum, but I'll do it here too. Anybody got any advice on how to clear skunk smell from the house? My dog, a house dog, got a little too friendly with a skunk tonight and then drug the smell into the house. I had no idea he'd been sprayed till I opened the door to let him in and the stank cloud rolled in with him. I have never smelled anything like that in my life!! Driving by a dead skunk or having one pass you in the woods is nothing compared to the up close experience of a fresh spray. I got most of the smell off my dog with a concoction the vet told me to try. Took three baths. I just can't get the smell all out of the house. Help, please
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Time, The same thing happened to us before. Tomato juice for the dog and open all the windows.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Fabreeze. It's a P&G product and supposed to eliminate odor.

Post Thanks / Like

The Dawn/peroxide did a decent job on my dog. You can smell it on him if you put your nose to his head, but otherwise he's okay. The house aired out after a few hours. Once the stench cleared from outside the house, and we got some fresh air moving through. I smelled it a little bit when I first walked in from work this evening, but a friend of my wife's said she couldn't tell, so it must not be so bad. Good thing this happened before it got any colder outside so we could leave the windows open without freezing to death. I'd like to think ole Jake dog has learned his lesson, but I know better. At least I'll know where to start next time.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Myth Busters did an experiment on this subject last year. All of the old home remedies that we have heard of in our lives did not work. Dont remember what they came up with. It might be worthwhile to contact a drugest. I have a lab that lives inside. I can feel for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it seems like all any of the remedies do is mask the smell for a while. The mixture the vet gave me got most of it I guess, but when I woke up this morning the dog was laying on the floor in my bedroom and I could smell the skunk again. It's bearable, but it's still there. We had to throw his bed away after four washes with everything from peroxide/Dawn to vinegar mixed in. When he ran in the door after getting sprayed, he ran to the bed and rubbed on it. Good thing is, the smell seems to be gone from the house.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi SPECWICK
    One of the mommies at my four year olds pre school, told me her sheep dog has
    made it his lifes ambition to successfully herd a skunk- spray, or no spray!

Three times in two years, his tail wagging, eyes bugging out, and frothing at the mouth
    he doesn't mind a bit, he just keeps coming back for more play time with the friendly
    neighborhood skunk. Usually playfully approaching the skunk two, or three times, and
    everytime catching that wonderful aroma!

I'll have to ask her the remedy she has used, I do remember it was something about
    three different soaps in combination.

And SPECKWICK,

I believe it was the FRESH PRINCE OF BELAIR who once said,

"Yo ho ... smell ya later!"
    Last edited by Cincinnati; 11-18-2008 at 07:48 AM.
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boxingref_rick View Post
    Hi SPECWICK

And SPECKWICK,

I believe it was the FRESH PRINCE OF BELAIR who once said,

"Yo ho ... smell ya later!"
    Errrrr.. You lost a few cool points there ref... It's

"Yo holmes... Smell you later!"

Holmes... As in Home Boy.

Were you in management at one time? Yo Ho.. Run me my money.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not planning on letting the skunk get a second shot at ole Jake. I'm keeping my eye out and when I catch him in my yard again(skunk that is), I'm gonna make me a nice skunk skin fishin' hat. Then nobody will want to fish near me and I'll get my pick of spots. I thought I had gotten rid of the stink, then my dog went outside yesterday when the snow was really coming down and he got wet. He smelled like he did right after he got sprayed. Is it cruel to shave a golden retriever when it's 30 degrees outside? I gotta do something.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, SPECK, you think it's gone, (the smell,the is...) and then, a of month from now during a Bengals game on tv ... (fade to scene...)

Your snoring in your favorite chair (ergo...Mr. Archie Bunker) The Bengals are losing 35 to 3, to ("Anybody, but the Browns!") and suddenly... the smell drifts up from the dog laying chairside.
    It brings you awake just enough to cuss it for not yet totally going away...

And then you hear on the tv, the other team just scored another touchdown!
    What a nightmare ...

My best friend,and hunting companion was a Golden, she was an awesome hunter!
    I dearly love the dog I have now, but Tessie will never be replaced.
    She chased down her first Drake at 9 months, she also flushed, and retrieved up
    more than a dozen "bird down" pheasant a few weeks later!

You could send that skunk hat to Mike Brown to wear during the games...
    Last edited by Cincinnati; 11-18-2008 at 11:32 PM.
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast