Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury 60 4 stroke/Stabil

Show Low, Az in summer Tonto Basin Az winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mercury 60 4 stroke/Stabil

Should I be using Stabil, or any other aditive, in a 'new to me' 06 Mercury
    60hp 4 stroke, which is now 'out of waranty'?

Post Thanks / Like

If its going to sit for more than a month i would use stabil for sure.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

It would not hurt to have that as an insurance policy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stabil

Make sure after adding the stabil you run the engine a couple of minutes so it goes thru all the lines and your good till spring.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

old man is right...let it run through all your lines...old gas in carbs and lines is where you run into problems...I use seafoam...will stabilize gas just like stabil and helps with carbon deposits and helps keep carbs/efi clean.

Here is a good read on iboats.com about winterizing your boat.

WINTERIZING - iboats Boating Forums
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

This really has nothing to do with stabalizing your fuel, but you may want to consider installing a water seperator if you haven't already. I've had some trouble with the carbs on my four stroke due to water/bad fuel.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Your fourstroke didn't come with one?? MAN, I thought most did.... I give that two thumbs up...all boats should come with a fuel/water sep. You can get one at walmart for right under 30 bucks. Most housings will use other elements also. Its just a simple bolt on procedure and a spin on filter. I have an OMC one on my Ranger...came with it in 87!! Ahead of their time! The one at Walmart will accept merc and yammie filters. VERY simple to install. Make sure the fittings you use are 3/8" You don't want starve one. Some of them I've seen come with 5/16...if it does just run to the parts store and get two 3/8" nipples and teflon tape the threads and let her bump. Todays fuels are BAD about having impurities in them.

Great suggestion!

FYI....if you are changing your filter NEVER use an automotive type seperator on a premix rig...some of them will filter out some oil. VRO's and such do not matter as they mix oil under the cowling. ALWAYS use merc, yammie, BRP, etc...filters.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sta-bil or Seafoam. I prefer Seafoam. By all means install a separator if you don't have one. A lot of manufactures recommend a 10 micron filter. But I would think that would be for older boats since they have had more time to accumulate trash in the tank.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Show Low, Az in summer Tonto Basin Az winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great information. Thank you each and every one.
    tourdriver

Post Thanks / Like

I would use sea foam when it sits unused for a month or so, but mine which is the same motor as yours, is on a 18' bass tracker. It is so easy on gas that a tank will last at least 10 times fishing or a month, so maybe i should use a stabilizer regularly, but I don't and have no trouble.

By the way, it trolls at 1.7 to 2.3 mph depending upon the wind, which makes for great trolling for walleye. I love mine and wish you good luck and lots of slabs with yours.

fair weather

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast