PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Pole

Speck69
11-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Any advise on length and makes to include reel for a "dock shooting pole". Have seen it demonstrated at shows and have read about it...just wanting some opinions from those who have spent time doing it before I go out and spend some money. Thanks for any input.

jekhoff
11-12-2008, 11:32 PM
I just watched an episode of Midwest Crappie where they shoot pontoons. Russ suggests a 6'6'' - 7' medium action. This should allow you to pitch the jig farther, set the hook a little harder, but keep the sensitivity.

russ
11-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Two real good poles are the Bucks graphite spinning rod (6 1/2ft), and the 5 1/2 ft. Sharp Shooter. Can't miss with either of these.

Russ

bigfish5
11-13-2008, 08:24 AM
i have been shooting docks for years. i have gone through literally dozens of rods and reels. i now have 7 dock shooting rods. i have fine tuned it the way i like it. others may chose differently. just remember you have to chose something that suits you. but may i suggest. a 5ft shakespere rod from academy sports. you can normally find them on sale for about $10.00 and a pinnacle ul20 . they normally have them for about $20.00 so for $30 plus tax you will have a great combo. i started out with 1 of those cheap combo's from walmart and they will work . it just seems that the reels dont last very long. also i would break a couple of rods every year. then i went to ugly stick combo's. they worked well. but the reels were just as cheap as the walmart combo's. the ugly stick rods do hold up well. i still have a few of them that my dad and brother are using. but i dont think they are as sensitive as the shakespere rods from academy. i did tr some of the pfluger ultrs light reels. they are excellent reels. but i like the pinnacle reels just as well and they are less expensive. i think the key is finding a rod that you can shoot well with that is not so expensive that you cant replace it when you break it. because when you shoot docks its not if you are going to break a rod just when are you going tobreak one. i hope this info helps you out. good luck and great fishing

CrappiePappy
11-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Any advise on length and makes to include reel for a "dock shooting pole". Have seen it demonstrated at shows and have read about it...just wanting some opinions from those who have spent time doing it before I go out and spend some money. Thanks for any input.

I can't tell you which rod/reel is the best for dock shooting, but I can tell you what I use.
I've shot docks with everything from a 5ft rod to a 8ft rod ... but, I've settled on the 5ft'rs as my primary outfits. This is, however, just a personal choice thing ... as my fishing partner uses a 6ft Berkley Cherrywood :p (and does just fine with it).

My two dock shooting rod/reel outfits :

My older outfit is a 5ft Quantum UL Model 653N rod (2-6lb test line .. 1/64-1/8oz lure) (fixed reel seat/10.5" foam handle) ... Shakespeare Alpha XT1000 (trigger) spinning reel ... 4lb test Stren Gold mono

My newer outfit is a 5' 6" Cabela's ESP Series graphite spinning rod by Six Sense Rods Inc. (pre-production rod that I was given to field test) (no line size or weight range on rod) (7" Tenn handle/graphite w/cork ends) ... Shakespeare Alpha XT 1000 (trigger) spinning reel ... 4lb Mr Crappie Super hi-vis mono

I'm normally shooting a 1/32oz or 1/16oz weedless jighead, with a solid body CrappiePro tube or Panfish Assassin body.

... luck2ya ... cp :cool:

txtider
11-13-2008, 10:16 AM
i have tried many rods for dock shootin,and the one which has done the best for me is a 51/2 ft bnm dockshooter . the reel i love is a cardinal 101 . i have also just started using vicious panfish hi vis line and love it for the lack of memory ! memory will cause ya to miss fish !

Darrell Baker
11-13-2008, 12:37 PM
I have used several different rods for dock shooting in the past but now the only rod I use on our guide trips is the BnM 5 1/2 foot Sharpshooter. This is a very good rod and will really load up to throw the jig under the docks. I can shoot docks with just about any lenght rod but the shorter rod really seems to work better for clients that are just learning this method. The Sharpshooter also seems to be really durable. These rods are really put to the test sometimes on a guide trip and so far we have never had one to break. BnM also makes this rod in a 4 1/2 foot and a 5 foot rod so you have three different lenghts to choose from. I really think this would be a good rod for you and if you are just learning the technique I think you will do much better with the shorter rod. I hope this helps you out...See Ya' on the Water!

Darrell Baker
Weiss Lake Crappie Guides
PO Box 778
Centre, Alabama 35960
Tele/ 256-927-2232
Cell/ 256-557-0129
weiss lake crappie guides (http://www.weisslakecrappieguides.com)

possumcop
11-13-2008, 08:25 PM
BnM dock shooter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laserdoc
11-13-2008, 08:50 PM
wally marshall dock rod from Bass Pro and pfluger president reel. Have had it for 2 years and have caught a ton of fish on it. I use 4 pound test I use 1/32 sickle hooks for shooting. I like to be able to hold onto the hook Just switched to vicious hi viz line so I shall see how it does

Speck69
11-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Just wanted to thank everone for the pointers and advise. I now believe that I am headed in the right direction and I really appreciate the input.

Quicksilver1958
11-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, been doing this for years and the best advice I can offer is to "experiment" until you find the rod and reel that "fits YOU".. If your 6' 6" tall, then the system that works for someone else that's 5' 5' tall may not be the best fit for you.

I use a BnM sharp shooter with a pinnacle ultra lite and 4lb. vicious line.. It's perfect for me.. but it may be all wrong for someone else.

Speck69, lots of good advice here from some great folks. All in, it may provide you with a starting point, but the key to proficiency at the dock shooting game is to find what "fits" you.. Experiment.. Happy shootin..

Speck69
11-14-2008, 01:37 AM
Quicksilver,
I couldn't agree with you more on the advise and with the great folks that have shared their views on this subject. Where at in East TX are you from? I lived in Tyler for a while before moving back to OK. Sure would like to come back and do some fishin and enjoy the sights of east TX, I really liked it down there.

jhef
11-14-2008, 02:13 AM
i also use the 5 foot sharp shooters, i use the pflueger president 2520 reels, if you have a gander mountain close by all there reels are made by pflueger, the president is 50 bucks, but the gander mountain tournament reel is only 30 bucks exact same reel, i have both and i actually like the gander brand better cause the rubber handles .you can order the sharpshooters straight from bandm for 27 bucks,
as far as line goes i like the suffix tangerine orange and the neon yellow, youll see more bites then youll ever feel..you can also pick up the line at gander mountain as well for 7 bucks for 330 yards..so far so good,,,,something i learned is when your shooting docks aim for the dock, if you try to hit the dock youll miss it everytime, if your like me i hit more docks then i skip under, guess its why they call it shooting docks lol

hair jig
11-14-2008, 02:40 PM
5 Ft6 Works The Best For Me Easy To Handle.

Quicksilver1958
11-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Quicksilver,
I couldn't agree with you more on the advise and with the great folks that have shared their views on this subject. Where at in East TX are you from? I lived in Tyler for a while before moving back to OK. Sure would like to come back and do some fishin and enjoy the sights of east TX, I really liked it down there.

I'm in Longview. I fish Lake O the Pines mostly. Come on down. The crappie fishing is getting ready to get hot on Pines.

racerkvn
11-14-2008, 11:47 PM
I been using a Wally Marshall 4'6" dock rod and like it pretty well, I also sometimes use my Wally Marshall 6'6" depending on the shot I can get away with.

brimreaper
11-16-2008, 04:05 AM
If Darrell Baker tells you something about crappie fishing it's kinda like E. F. Hutton telling you about money marketing....you might want to listen to what he says. Darrell is on the water alot more days than he isn't and he has, "been there and done that". He guides alot and he deals with people that are new to the sport of fishing alot. If you can teach newbies to dock shoot in one day and have them enjoy it then your rigs are superior to say nothing of the guides skill. Darrell taught me how to shoot docks and turned me on to BnM poles as well. BnM make good quality rods at an affodable price and the sensitivity is really good. I fish the 5 1/2 footers with diawa reels and am well pleased with the combos. I shoot 1/24 and 1/32 and recently 1/40 oz jigs and the sharp shooter rods handle all these weights well. Light line and a not overly filled spool will help alot as a too full spool will spill line off and drive you crazy with tangles. A hi viz line that is low in line memory will help you as well. Experiment with the sharpshooter rods and a few reel combos and I think you will find a new way to fish that you will love...I know I have...brim

Speck69
11-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks again to everyone, I really appriciate your time in helping someone new to this style of fishing. My choice is now on my chistmas list and hoping that Santa brings it early so I can get a feel for it.