Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dropper loop setup rig Photo

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking My dropper loop setup rig Photo

It is a known fact that all fish will eat off the bottom. Different “Search lures” have been in existence for over 30 years. The beauty of my dropper rig that I personally created and solder together is that it can be used as a search lure, a dropper rig on the bottom and also fished very effectively beneath a slip float. It has a soldered snap swivel and pinmin combination that acts as a weight and attractor and allows you to attach a small finesse jig that triggers fish into biting. You can jig this rig up and down off the bottom to attract fish or you can swim it under a slip float. The nickel finish and the colors on the pinmin weight really attract fish. As a bonus, they will often hit the hook on the pinmin. The loop knot keeps the small jig acting properly. It allows it to be free riding so that it flutters and looks realistic to the fish. When fished under a slip float the waves will impart all the action that is needed.

This setup is deadly on Perch, Shellcrackers, Crappie and Gills. It can be fished as a dropper off the bottom or under a slip bobber. Use a loop knot to give maximum mobility to the jig and to insure it hangs correctly in the water. I created the pinmin hook/sinker and it is fantastic!

The spoon or pinmin acts as both a weight and an attractor. The pinmin spoon also sends out a lot of vibrations as it moves in the water. Fish pick these up by their lateral lines. As a bonus, you will often catch two at a time.

You can fish this on the bottom as a dropper technique or place it under a slip float and stop knot. The waves will give it motion and the sun reflecting off the pinmin will give it flash.

I try and pass on things that I know work to the next generation. I know some people use an attractor spoon for the drop weight. I used to, but then figured a way to get more bang for my buck.

This way it is a double hookup. You have added flash, color and weight from the pinmin. Fish it near the bottom for deep water Gills and Crappie. (With or without a slip float.) Tip the jig hook with maggots, waxworms, wigglers or minnow depending on what you are targeting.)
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 04-20-2009 at 08:10 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

bump

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like that would work---
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ship, looks like that would be a simple knot to tie with some not so nimble fingers and failing eyes. What about the knot strength, any thoughts.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PawPaw "gene" View Post
    Ship, looks like that would be a simple knot to tie with some not so nimble fingers and failing eyes. What about the knot strength, any thoughts.
    "gene"
    See below for a great loop knot. It is very popular among saltwater fly fishermen who target big fish on light gear. Since it can handle tarpon, you will have no problems with crappie. It breaks at around 100%.

Knots 101, by Lefty Kreh

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

I use loop knots for all my drop-shot rigs and have never had one fail. Never.

aj

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to give it a try.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

loop knot used by Bass Pro's Wally Marshall on his dvd's works great for me

it has great strength too, he may show it on Bass Pro's website, but me explainin' it in text is NOT going to work out as good as someone showing you how to tie it. its very simple though, and i tugged a 16 inch striper in on 4 lb test with it. I usually use it when drop shotting minners for slabs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BazznHokie View Post
    loop knot used by Bass Pro's Wally Marshall on his dvd's works great for me

it has great strength too, he may show it on Bass Pro's website, but me explainin' it in text is NOT going to work out as good as someone showing you how to tie it. its very simple though, and i tugged a 16 inch striper in on 4 lb test with it. I usually use it when drop shotting minners for slabs
    Here is a video of tying a loop knot.
    YouTube - How to Tie a Perfection Loop Fishing Knot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast