Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bank Fishemmen needs advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bank Fishemmen needs advice

Where should I start looking now that my deep water fishing spot has slowed down. There are some sloughs around but no feeder creeks . I have been looking at the points where the lake goes into the sloughs. I have caught a few crappie there but long a time between bites.

Post Thanks / Like

any idea what the water temp is in your lake?
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

Try looking for dark shady spots... underwater structure and steep drop offs and points near deeper water.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixfin View Post
    any idea what the water temp is in your lake?
    Water temp is 70 degrees. We don't get much cold weather for any length of time. Water temp stays in the 50's in the coldest part of the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on what type of lake you have, natural or reservoir? In either case though go to canals, marinas, creek mouths first. Also try night fishing. You fishing lake CC?
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Ride around the lake at night and search for lights that are accessible. Stop and talk to everyone fishing at night as they will most likely be fishing for crappie or catfish. On winter nights around here (central MS), crappie are often easily caught under lights and around shallow banks close to deeper water. during the day, these spots can also produce. Most people I encounter fishing at night are serious about the sport and are full of good info.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes a slip float rig can be your best friend from the bank. If you have access to any piers or docs, there may be sunken brush piles at the ends. Crappie fisherman are notorious for putting fish attractors at the ends of piers. Using a slip float rig can keep you casting effectively, but also give you the depth you might need. I like to use a jig/minnow combo under a slip float. This can also keep you from having to cast a longer rod if you have trees on the bank.

Another thing to look for is fish attractor markers. They often have a fish emblem on them. They are put there by the DNR to attract fish. They are FANTASTIC for crappie. Many times you can find them in public access areas close enough to the bank to cast to them. They tend to put them on a ledge or drop off to really make them effective.

Finally, I would recommend a pond. If you know of a good crappie pond try it in the winter. The water warms so much faster in stained ponds. You may be able to catch fish fairly shallow even in the winter in a pond. Also, feeder creeks and coves in lakes that are stained can be great in the afternoons on a warm clear day. A cove can act as a small flat. Casting and "counting down" jigs can produce a lot of fall and winter slabs in these areas.

One thing to remember also. Crappie are not always deep. Even in the dead of winter, crappie can go fairly shallow at times. Stained water and warm afternoons can bring them shallow. Think about this. When bait fish go shallow,,,,,, so go the crappie quite often.
    Last edited by Muddy; 11-15-2008 at 01:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Coastal Bend wrote : "I have caught a few crappie there but long a time between bites."

One more thing. If you catch a few, often there are a lot more there. Try new and different tactics. If you always fish with a minnow for example, try a jig. If you normally fish deep, try shallow. If you normally use one color, try another with a crappie nibble lol. It's amazing how many new techniques you can come up with when the fishing is slow. I have tried new things before and had great fishing days. Just because the fish are "not supposed" to act in a certain way this time of year, does not mean the won't. Crappie are funny that way. They do what you don't expect them to do sometimes.

Catching fish with new or not often used techniques is a ton of fun. I have developed quite an arsenal of tactics this way. Have fun, and good luck.
    Last edited by Muddy; 11-15-2008 at 01:59 AM.