Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do batteries need to be recharged everytime ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do batteries need to be recharged everytime ?

Just purchase a used boat, just wondering if the 3 batteries need to be charged after each used ? or they charge themselves when the boat is running.
    Thanks for all the help. This is my 1st boat and i'm new at this.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Trolling motor batteries should be recharged as soon as possible after use. They will last much longer if you do that. The starting battery may need to be charged once in a while if you only run the big motor for short periods of time. First step is to determine how the batteries are being used. Usually with 3, one is used for starting and 2 for the trolling motor. Normally the motor just charges the starting battery. Check and be sure the motor is charging. A simple voltage check with the motor off and then compare it with the motor running. You should see a slight increase in voltage at about 1500 rpm. Of course you water to have water hooked up to it if not in the water. So tell us, what did you get?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I recharge my trolling battery about every 3 times out unless theres hi winds.got battery alarm on my front finder set so it gos off when its 2/3 down.Its a good reminder-Good Fishin To Ya & Welcome Aboard!!Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Buy an onboard battery charger, a little expense now saves a lot of hassle later. Just plug it in and forget it. Most of them work as trickle chargers, after the batteries have reached full charge. I have a three battery setup and use a Bass Pro XPS 5/5/5 charger. When I get the boat parked, I plug it in and know it is ready when the time comes again.

Post Thanks / Like

Recharge trolling batteries after each usage. That will extend the life. My two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the helps guys. I've been charging all three batteries after each time I took the boat out.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a set-up from www.stayncharge.com and you wont have to worry about your batteries again. I have the original model and i charge 2 batteries with it. I dont know why more people dont use this product as it works great for me. I've been using it for almost 2 years now and never had a battery run down on me in a full days fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm about to be shunned .... but will this work on a 12v system ? It says for 24/36 systems ..... BTW my gas motor has only been started 3 times in the last 2 years so if I have to run the big motor it ain't gonna work for me at all !!

When I get my replacement boat this winter and turn it into a Crappie/Catfish Catching Platform from Heaven , then I'll more than likely wear y'all out teaching me to wire it 24v , but until then it's 12v for me !
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling motor batteries should be charged as soon as you get back home. A friend of mine (Larry Nixon) told me that he uses TWO battery chargers hook one up to each battery set them both on two amps noting higher and charge your batteries. This is what I have ben doing and my batteries are SIX years old. It is verry important to keep the water chedked in them.

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg
    TWO battery chargers hook one up to each battery set them both on two amps noting higher and charge your batteries. This is what I have ben doing and my batteries are SIX years old. It is verry important to keep the water chedked in them.

mikeg
    Very good advice. I do the same and in about 30 years of serious fishing have never had a problem with a battery. I have had a few that were just bad that went out prematurely but no problems other than that. It happens.

Frankly, lack of water will cause a lot more problems with batteries than anything else. It often gets overlooked. If you charge your batteries a lot you have to watch it really close cause the water tends to boil out.

I never have been real adament about charging my batteries immediately after just a short trip either. I might fish three or four days between charging if I'm only fishing for three or two hours a day. If you've been out all day, by all means get 'em charged up. Hasn't seemed to hurt my performance and certainly hasn't caused me any problems.

Good luck with the new purchase!
    'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast