Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cant attract minnows with light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cant attract minnows with light

What wrong with these things? They wont come to the light. I am using a starfire II submersible Q-Beam light. I have experimented with different depths and different parts of the lake. I usually wait about 2 hours before I move. Why aren’t the minnows swarming around the light? Sometimes I see a few scattered shad swim by but I don’t have a cloud of bait. Has anyone failed to lure in bait with a light. The problem is ongoing for me

Thanks all for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Q beam

Im not familiar with the brands, but are you using an actual floating crappie light? Have you had any cold snaps? I would guess your fish a moved down in the water column or possibly slowed down for winter, are not there or are not in any quantity after all the fall feeding. This time of year i would not expect the same results as in late spring or summer. good luck.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply here is more infomation

The waters I fish are no deeper than 10-15 feet deep. Thats the deepest part of the lake. I tried moving the light down to 10 feet... still no one home

its weird.. even after sitting in one spot for two hours I only have 2 or 3 shad

The water temp in florida righn now is in the 65-70's

the barometric pressure is stable right now

Post Thanks / Like

I would say raise up the light you may be to deep. we always stay on top of the water or sometimes the light is a foot or two above the water. ?

Post Thanks / Like

Green lights work best.

Post Thanks / Like

You only need the light in the water a few inches to attract bait fish. Some nights I don't see many baitfish, but I can look on the sonar and there is more than enough baitfish. If you have a sonar and are still not seeing any, keep trying different spots. I use the same light you are using and it has never failed me.

Some nights, they are so thick around the light, you would think they could swim away with the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

and also another thing is the moon or i should say natural light the fishing lights work their best on real dark night s when there isn't any other light sources docks pole lights moon etc.

Scott
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland

Post Thanks / Like

If you're in Florida, the shad, minnows and crappie may all be in much shallower water. Move to a cove, flat, or shallow cover.

Post Thanks / Like

you are probably attracting minnows to the lights, but they are staying deep. im gonna say half the time we dont attract many or any visible minnows, but that dont mean they arent there. for some reason they stay deep a lot of nights. some of the best nights ive had on nightstalking ive not seen any minnows. you using a great light and i wouldnt worry about it if you dont see any surface minnows.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Rango, it's a great light, and as others said keep the light within a foot or two of the surface. In my experience it takes a couple of hours to get the shad to come in so you may be moving to early. I would stay put.