Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rouge Waves?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Rouge Waves?

I fish the Ross Barnett reservoir here in central MS. The last three trips out I have night fished on the main lake. The wind has started out light and then became calm. Once the ripples settle down and the water becomes almost slick, the wave action starts. They start out small and then grow to up to a foot or so. On none of the three nights has the wind blown before or during the wave action. One episode lasted a couple of hours and waves became large enough that fishing was very difficult. They are like boat wakes but they don't stop. Once the wind picked up for a few minutes and they stopped. That I can tell, there was no boat traffic on the main lake. Does any one know what causes this to happen? Some info on the lake... 33,000 acres, river fed, spillway in the middle of the main levy, main lake depth 10-20', water surface temp 62 deg. waves start around midnight. Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Loch Ness to me:D You tried asking any of the local marina owners? That is a weird phenomenon.

Post Thanks / Like

That's kinda freaky...
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

Might be time to consider quittin drinkin' LOL
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

Post Thanks / Like

That is wierd!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Is Michael Phelps doing laps in your lake???

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Rouge waves and 'mokin' rope...

My buddy and I had this problem back in the '70's while fishin' for catfish at night too...
    "One man gathers what another man spills" GD

Post Thanks / Like

That's the lake settling. The wind action during the day drives the water. After it stops, the water flows back out of the coves/creeks/etc and back across the lake and back accross the lake and so on. When the breeze pics up it drives the water accross the lake and holds it back in there to some degree. Had the same thing happen to me on Grenada when the wind went dead calm. I'm talking swells here as opposed to waves.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    That's the lake settling. The wind action during the day drives the water. After it stops, the water flows back out of the coves/creeks/etc and back across the lake and back accross the lake and so on. When the breeze pics up it drives the water accross the lake and holds it back in there to some degree. Had the same thing happen to me on Grenada when the wind went dead calm. I'm talking swells here as opposed to waves.

Wannabe...
    I agree...also if what you said were true about the lake...15-20' deep in the main lake...then being that big...it wouldn't take much to get the lake going. Much like Millwood in southwestern AR. Not very deep but 30,000 or so acres...lots of surface area...in a storm is the most dangerous lake around here...due to stumps and stick ups. I would say a combination of not being really deep and what wannabe said. That would be freaky though.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

I had this happen to me one time on Tellico lake. No wind and large waves that did not stop, kinda like boat waves but a little bit bigger and they did not stop. Happened about an hour after dark. My wife and I were a little freaked out. I have not told many people about this because a was afraid they would just think I was loosing my mind or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast