Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 25 Johnson Impeller Replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Default 25 Johnson Impeller Replacement

Can anyone here tell me how to replace the impeller on the ole' 25 Johnson/Tracker 2-stroke? Maybe you can point me to a website or blog that can assist.

I had it replaced last April by the "pro mechanic" at Brady Mountain (Lake Ouachita) and bless my soul if it didn't give up the ghost again...and he charged me a premium price, to boot.

I am mechanically oriented and have replaced them before in bigger Mercury engines but I don't quite know what to do with my brother's little 25.

Any help would surely be appreciated. I'm tired of incompetent, money-grubbing mechanics. Thanks, so much, in advance. <><

aj
    Last edited by Arkie John; 11-09-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

if you were closer to Nashville I would do it for a case of Mountain Dews...lol. Go to iboats.com LOTS of great info there. If you can do a merc you can do a johnnyrude. The main difference you find in most outboards that I've changed them on is the difference in the shift linkage. I know alot of the johnnyrudes you have to loosen a nut off under the carbs to allow the lower to come off...I've done small mercs that are that way too. Of course you know the big mercs just slip out. You can do it no prob though. Just remember to pay attention to direction of the blades on the pump when you take it off. When you put it back on cover the blades with dish washing soap...like dawn or something. This allows it to go on MUCH easier and when you initially start it, its a bit easier on the blades. If it gave up the ghost so soon I would really look at getting the entire rebuild kit. With the housing an all. There may be something harming the impellor. good luck, let us know how it goes
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

The unhook the shift linkage, it's inside the water intake.
    Nothing to it.

This will help installing the pump.

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/waterpump.wmv
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FisherMike View Post
    The unhook the shift linkage, it's inside the water intake.
    Nothing to it.

This will help installing the pump.

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/waterpump.wmv
    \

I second this if you need any help what so ever ask TMD he will go out of his way to help you fix your problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Very easy to do. Undo shift linkage and remove bolts from lower unit. If it was just replaced I would check all the parts: water tube, orings etc. There is alot more in there, than just the impeller. To undo the shift linkage, shift engine into drive to push nut down so you can loosen the couple nut.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes BlueGill, I've had him lead me through a couple of scenarios.
    TMD and Paul are great people. I visit there site as much as I do CDC.
    If you have an old OMC, Paul is a pro and he also has a site he will post parts break downs for the oldies.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on checking the other components.If the housing is plastic make sure that it hasnt got hot enough to melt or warp it.Also check the wear plate for groves.If it was replaced this spring other than someone firing it up out of the water there shouldnt be a reason to replce it so soon.May want to check the thermostat if the powerhead is getting hot, could be something other than the Impeller depending on the specifics.