Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Knocker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Knocker

What exactly is a Crappie Knocker? How do you use one? Where can I get one?

Post Thanks / Like

a crappie knocker is a calf tail hair jig put out by jimbos jigs, just google or yahoo jimbosjigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Not really....It's a really big stick, lead loaded on the heavy end, that you use to knock out those 9 lb crappie when you get them in the boat, so they don't tear up your boat.
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Default snag

I heard it mentioned on youtube, about getting a jig loose from brush. How does this Jimbojigs work?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are talking about a lure knocker. They are heavy weights that clip onto your line, and knock your hung up jigs off of the limb it is hung on. You can buy them, but I just go to the auto shop and ask them to save the big spark plugs that they change when doing a tune up. I then get some large snap swivels and close the gap on the plug over the ring end of the swivels. When you get hung up, just snap the plug onto your line and then let it knock the jig loose.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I know who he is...

CrappieKnocker is Frank, a member on crappie.com and he fishes at Lake of the Ozarks. He knows his fishin' and I hope to have the opportunity to fish with him some day. :D
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Prowler ....

all the previous replies are correct :p (in as far as they correctly identify what a Crappie Knocker is )

But, I think you're referring to a "Lure Retriever" (aka lure knocker). They come in all forms imaginable :D ... from extension poles with various types of grabber ends, to lead weights on a paperclip, to sparkplugs on a swivel, and various forms in between.

The one I have is a homemade version of this :

which is a piece of pipe, filled with lead ... and having a line guide similar to the spiral shaped one in this picture. Mine has no bottom loop, but has holes around the perimeter ... to hang chains from. It's got the top loop, for attaching a nylon cord to ... and 50ft of nylon cord wrapped around a small rectangular piece of wood. I bought it for about $8 ... 30 some years ago ... from my local tackle shop. I use it mostly for retrieving snagged crankbaits. It has about a 90% retrieval rate. It only took the retrieval of two crankbaits, to pay for itself
    I've never bothered using it for retrieving jigs. Since I use weedless jigheads, I don't have enough hang-ups to bother with digging it out and using it. Besides, I'd rather try and straighten the hook ... or else break off ... than to disturb a brushpile by crashing a heavy weight down in it.

... cp