Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Seats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel Seats

Guys/Gals,

I have 2-12' Tod Huckabee rods and I was wondering if any of you have them and have had any trouble with the moveable reel seats. I am in the medical field and I tried wraping coban (elastic bandage that sticks to itself) around them but they still seem to come loose. One day the reel actually came off of the rod while I was playing a fish. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I won't be able to try out your suggestions until I return from my deployment.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just use black electrical tape on my movable reel seats.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try the black tape it work and also wire ties
    Mr. Plucker

Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to stay away from any type of adhesive product. If I decide to change position of my reels or buy different reels I don't want the corks to be all sticky. I was thinking of using a tennis racquet wrap and see if that works.

Post Thanks / Like

small nylon pull ties work good also
    If it will hold cornmeal it's big enough for me !!!!!!!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation I use the electrical tape, as well ...

Quote Originally Posted by IAMMAC View Post
    I was trying to stay away from any type of adhesive product. If I decide to change position of my reels or buy different reels I don't want the corks to be all sticky. I was thinking of using a tennis racquet wrap and see if that works.
    and I understand where you're coming from on having adhesive remains on your cork handles. However, this can be removed, and probably should be/will be, when cleaning the cork between position changes. And you should clean the cork, between position changes, especially if using adhesive wraps, simply because the adhesive will stick to a clean cork handle much better than one that's got adhesive remnants or dirt/skin oil remnants.

There are "rod wrap" products available, but most of them are for comfort or bulking up the rod handle (for guys with big paws :p ). What you need, for anchoring your reel to the handle (prior to taping over it) is slip rings. IF your rods do not have these, and you're attaching the reel to the handle with elastic wraps/tape/racquet wraps .... you're going to find that the reel will eventually pull away, or come completely off. The plastic pull ties could be an alternative to slip rings, but you'd have to position them so that the joints didn't present themselves to the palm of your hand, or your fingers.

Now, if you want to go "all out" ..... check out this little dandy (see bottom of this page -- Phillipson Components )

Here's the slip rings : Graphite Slip Ring

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

do they make heat shrink that big?

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have tried the TN handles and don't like them at all..The slip rings feel too fat or bulky to me which takes away from the feel of "the thump". I do have small hands and this could be the problem. A friend sent me a 7' St Croix pack rod with TN handle...I tried but just couldn't use it...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speckfinder View Post
    do they make heat shrink that big?
    Yes, They do.. Good idea

Post Thanks / Like

IAMMAC; I've built hundreds of rods with these handles over the years with alot of happy customers, most problems result from UL reels with skinny feet. If thats the case on your rods I suggest shimming between the reefoot & handle with a piece of plastic cut to fit, such as a coffee can lid. This is the quick fix, if you put on new rings likely it will not help as the O.D. of the cork may be undersized. Or wrap a few rounds of tape directly on the reel foot then push the rings on until you get it just right....hope this helps.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast