Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer brakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer brakes

My trailer has ufp disc brakes on it and all of a sudden will not let me back up it go forward fine. Does anyone know the cause or how to quick fix this. I am supposed to be heading to the lake in the morning for a 4 day trip with some friends and family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tritonman View Post
    My trailer has ufp disc brakes on it and all of a sudden will not let me back up it go forward fine. Does anyone know the cause or how to quick fix this. I am supposed to be heading to the lake in the morning for a 4 day trip with some friends and family.
    1st google ufp brakes and look for the type actuator you have. Check your wiring because when you put vehicle in reverse the wire off backup lights disable the selinoid and brakes do not lock while backing. There is a pin on some actuators where you can pry back with screwdrive and place pin in hole to deactivate brakes, but this is for emgencies only because you won't have any brakes. Safety 1st.
    Hope this helps.
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

It is the A60 actuator

Post Thanks / Like

Tritonman
    Go to this site pick your type A60 for instructions. Have you check all your wiring?

UFP _ Actuators

Post Thanks / Like

just checked, wiring looks ok and it looks like my actuator can not be bypassed according the ufp site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tritonman View Post
    just checked, wiring looks ok and it looks like my actuator can not be bypassed according the ufp site
    Does it have the pin attached to cable as shown in manual?
    If so, you can deactivate when backing on hard surface or road.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue, turned out that the blue wire on my trailer had gotten pinched and broken the wire. Used a butt connector to splice back together and all works fine

Post Thanks / Like

Well once again thaks guys on how to rig my actuator/back up ability for this weekend. We made it to Lake Washington and got to fish. It was not the best conditions here in MS with a strong wind a BIG BLUE BIRD skies. Between 3 of us fishing, My son, father in law and myself we ended up with 30. The up side to this is we had 10 that were over 1.5 pounds. Made for a nice bag of fillets.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad ya'll caught some big fish and had good time. What was problem with actuator if I my ask?

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I just saw this thread...I don't know the exact system you have but my Ranger Trail has one of those setups...many that I have seen actually have a spot on the coupler to put a bolt through and throw a wing nut on the other end. If you'll look at where your tongue goes into or slides into the actuator or master cylinder (mine have a master cylinder) there would be a hole or spot that looks like a bolt would go through. When a bolt is placed in there when you back up the bolt keeps the tongue from pressing all the way back...keeping pressure off the acutator or master cylinder. I'm guessing yours are electric? Anyways....for a quick fix or to disable the brakes if need be there normally is a place to put a bolt through on the tongue that will keep the coupler from depressing the brakes...hope that is clearer than mud. I don't have my camera with me or I'd go out and take a pic...might just take a look at it and see and get a bolt in case it happens again.
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast