Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minnows per Gallon?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnows per Gallon?

Whats the rule of thumb on how many minnows you can keep per gallon. I just bought one of those round 5 gallon igloo drink dispenser coolers as my new minner bucker! Hopefully I won't see as many floating on the top! Thanks!

tom

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the amount would depend on how cool you can keep the water. Minnows use less oxygen in cooler water. Even in the cooler the water will warm up if you open it a lot. It would also depend on whether you are going to provide aeration. If you just plan on using the cooler with water the same temp as the minnows when you purchase them you should be able to keep 10 dozen all day by keeping the water temp the same. I have done that in 4 gallons of water and keeping the water cool. I have also keep 10 doz. in a regular styrofoam 2 gl bucket with aeroation and keeping the water cool.
    Last edited by whizkids; 05-27-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

TomC.. I'm not sure on 5 gallons of water, if you've got a good bubbler and can keep it in a cool place where the water temp would'nt get above about 60 to65 degree's, You could probbably keep a pound maybe two. I've got a plastic 55 gal. sunk in the ground about 3/4 way, on the shady side of my fish cleaning station, it's got about 35gal of water, I've kept 5 to 6 pounds from week to week. the water usally stay's about 60 to 65 in the may june, and july even colder in the fall and winter. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input.....just hope this cooler workd better than regualr old minnow buckets!

tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomC
    thanks for the input.....just hope this cooler workd better than regualr old minnow buckets!

tom
    I took a new 5 gallon white bucket and wrapped it with insulation that is use for pipe wrap and then wrapped that with duck tap. Wallmart has a top that fits the bucket and comes with its on bubbler( 10 bucks) . I have tryed alot of things(coolers and so on) but this has worked great. Been useing minnows for trolling and I can put a pound in there with the bubbler on and thay will stay all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up it'll work..

Quote Originally Posted by TomC

tom
    ......................been using the same thing (IGLOO) for 2 years now..
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnow dispenser

I rigged a cooler with an aerator pump for my minnows. Everytime I open the cooler there is a minnow stuck in the drain plug hole. Maybe with the Igloo you could just push the button and dispense yourself a minnow. :D

Ok all you inventors lets see some ideas on this.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Post Thanks / Like

i did the igloo cooler thing too, drilled a hole in the top and ran a areator hose threw it and it works great...... Keeps minnows good for three days that i know of.......