Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night Fishing Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing Lights

Hey All,
    I am wondering what the concensus is on submersible lights for crappie fishing. I have a clear streamlight submersible which I have used, but i have never had a "good attraction" of baitfish. So I was wondering about the green.

For those of you who do alot of night fishing, whats your choice of color and what brand of light do you have. I have seen on the net there are some high priced lights out there, but if they work good, then maybe they are worth it.

Also, what depths of water do you fish in, best time of year etc. I have used these in the fall/winter time- maybe thats why not very good success.

Thanks

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".

William James

Post Thanks / Like

I use the brinkman submersible light in white, have used green and see no difference in bite, I place them 2' below surface, late spring and summer are the best times for night fishing for me

Post Thanks / Like

I use both as well, my lake doesnt provide great night fishing but I have both lights.

If your interested in one of the big green lights i will sell you mine. It comes form Bass pro and is about 4ft long. It attracts alot of baitfish for sure! I paid alot for it you can bet that, but Im giving up night fishing probably.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of light is it? And how much do you want for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been catching more fish at night without lights than with lights. I use both, but lately have had better numbers and size spider riggin' and casting a cork in shallow water.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, the Q Beam (250,000 candle power) white lights put off the most light of any I have used. $13 at Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all for the info.

"The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".

William James

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Starfire Q Beam from Walmart and it puts out plenty of light, draws in plenty of baitfish, and is in-expensive. I've never used the green lights and don't feel like I need to at this point, but I'm sure they work too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default location, location, location

If you are not where there are lots of minnows or shad then not much will come to the light. We have jumped around the lake with the light at night and in spots we get just a few shad and then when we get near where they are actually had we get lots coming to the light and the crappie are usually right with them. Gimmicks catch fishermen not fish. I have another lake where there are no forage minnows present in the lake so the light does not really do anything except for drawing plankton and bugs along with transient fish coming through.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

You need a green one. I made one with a 2ft bulb and 12volt ballast. It was pricey to make it, the clear pvc being the most expensive. Works great though. I spent about $125.00 on materials.