Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOZ walleye?

Post Thanks / Like

Default LOZ walleye?

Anyone ever catch a walleye on LOZ? I know people do, but it seems very random. I was just wondering b/c it seems like more and more are are being caught ot Truman.

Post Thanks / Like

Never have, but I'd like to. I think there are probably better areas of the lake for them than where I fish (Glaize). I would imagine Mark Lo is in a better area down by the Niangua.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

Catch a few as I crappie fish, actually caught a 13"er yesterday. The guys that troll for whites pick one up once in a while. One guy that fishes for them a lot, told me that he is catching several in that 13-15" range, so, thinks next year should be good on the Upper Niangua.

Hope this helps.
    Mark

Pitching jigs, catching slabs, life is good

Post Thanks / Like

I took a crappie to the taxidermy shop there in Linn Creek. He was working on a walleye that was caught near Ha Ha Tonka, was near 10 pounds. Its belly was so full of eggs it looked like it had swallow a football. I have heard of a few accidental catches but never hear of anyone fishing strickly for them.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

have caught some years ago while fishing(pulling cranks) the steep bluff that runs on the south end of the hurricane deck bridge,,there and the niangua arm seems about the only place i have heard about them being caught at the lake,,,
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

One accidenal catch out of hundreds of trips on the glaize the niangua is the best place on loz but as mark said that still aint the best.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Some caught in early spring near Truman Dam each year so obviously there are some. Spoke to a retired gentleman couple of years ago that said he fished for them specifically around the Hurricane Deck area. Concentrated on ledges from 20-25' deep with plastics, mostly vertical jigging. Said he caught a few, not enough for the time he spent trying, but one here and there nonetheless. Said if he ever had two in the same day it was a banner day. Was he nuts? Your guess is as good as mine

Post Thanks / Like

Caught a 3.5 lb'er a couple of years ago in Grand Glaize about 1/2 mile from PB2. Was a cloudy overcast day early in Oct. on a Wggle Wart, it was right up on the bank!

Post Thanks / Like

Caught one over 15" a few years ago on a white spinnerbait on a main lake point around the 23mm while bass fishing. Have caught two others around 8" long by accident while bass fishing.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

LOZ has lots of walleye and they can be caught accidentally using large crankbaits (DD22) or jigs tipped with minnows. i routinely catch them now because i use things with walleye as the focus. try crawler rigs, whistler jigs, bright orange soft plastics, etc.. pretty standard walleye gear. as far as where they are......the niangua arm is always the most reliable. for real size you have to look elsewhere. i only have 3 large spots where most of them are over 5 pounds. without being too specific and giving away my honey holes i will say look between the 12 and 20 mile marker of the osage. find long points that go way out into the main channel and run crawler rigs over them. my property is on the 18 mile marker and several four pounders have come out of that cove in the past three years. the more people that fish for the 'eyes in that lake the more the mdc will create better areas for them! good luck, figure it all out and more than two in a day is not unusual at all, provided your not fishing for them in the height of summer.
    talk to you boys in another two years.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast