Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How are we going to do this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How are we going to do this?

Looking into this saturday evening to get the boat wet - it's been a couple weeks. The weather seems to be less then cooperative. What we're looking at is three days of prior rain staining the water and a cold front will have just passed through. Should we concentrate on the drop-offs, or look deep into the cover in the shallows?

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Zig, both of the areas you suggested should have fish. The key will be making them bite. After a cold front the fish seem to get lock jaw, so any finesse tactics you have should work. Hair jigs, marabou, anything small should help you catch fish. The other key thing to your locations will be structure! Find brush, tall weeds,etc. and the fish should be close. As you know nothing is guaranteed Good luck and tightlines.
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Post Thanks / Like

Truth be know (I'm not proud) these summer months are tough for me. My "home" lake has no weeds, literally. Since the lake is the area's water source, it is treated to stop weed growth. The only structure in the lake is a handfull of man-made pyramids, a main creek channel, and shoreline blowdowns. After spending some time reading over past posts and some of the articles (Thanks), I want to try a trolling technique on the creek channel. Never fished crappie this way, and want to give it a try. I've often had light hits while pullling larger cranks for striper and walleye along this channel, but never really thought about the bites being crappie. I'm planning on downsizing to either small Rattle Traps and/or small Wally Divers. If I do pick up any crappie, I'll probably end up working the area with micro-jigs (Zigs Jigs :D ) and twister tails.

I have noted in my journals that the one bridge across this lake holds "hordes" of 4-6" crappie during the summer months. I never could seem to locate anything larger then these "tators". Tried deeper, break areas around the bridge, shallow structure close to the bridge - nothing. It seems as if this bridge is a staging area for the current years hatch to congregate. I understand crappie tend to group in age class (size going hand-in-hand), any truth to this theory? What I've found (at least at this lake), is that if I start catching 4-6" fish, I need to move to catch 7-10" fish. The 10-12" fish will be found in yet another group.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd try the blowdowns on shore. If they're hanging over deep water, 8 to 12ft, i'd fish real tight to the trunk. I've caught lots of bigger crappies that way. Lower your bait or jig and nibble just below the thick part of the trunk and keep it as close as possible. Even inactive fish cant stand it for long. Use heavy line.. you'll need to horse em from under the tree.

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My son and father and myself went out this morning. We did very well. The crappie were very aggressive. We went thru a half pound of minnows in about 3 and half to 4 hours. We brought home a dozen 10" and bigger crappie. We caught a lot of big bluegill 8" and bigger we turned them loose. My dad caught a 20" largemouth on a little panfish assasin and light line. It was his biggest largemouth to date.
    The fish we found were in 8 fow scattered but, when the bait was there they ate it up. When I cleaned them, they all had 3" half digested shad in them.
    My son and I will be heading out again tomorrow morning. Tight lines to all.
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Post Thanks / Like

Here I sit all broken hearted, tried to fish but only bargained............with the wife for another day. No really, They called for the remains of Hurricane Charlie up my way on Saturday evening. It got cloudy, the back started bothering me - but no rain. I had already committed to bagging the evening for something else - the forecast said 2-4 inches of rain over 4 hours, and I didn't feel like this was a good time to make sure the bilge could pump as much as the charts say it will.

So, another few days before the schedule opens up with free time.............best laid plans of men and mice.......