Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Eagle Creek Today!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eagle Creek Today!

Well, decided to try a hand at fishing in a creek off the river today. Ive never tried for crappie in the creeks but I did have fun. Took 5 dozen minnows and used every last one. Caught 16 crappie but only a few were keepers. Not enough to clean so they were all released. Tried to post a few pics of the better ones but the website is telling me my pics are to large??? anyways I think I caught more species of fish today than in any other fishing trip I have ever had. didnt get to the water til noon. Caught crappie, white bass, small mouth, large mouth, 1 small sauger, 1 channel cat, few bluegills, and evan a few skipjacks! I had an absolute blast but wish I could have caught more of what I was after. Stayed busy though. 2 biggest crappie came on black/white jig. The creek I was fishing was (Eagle Creek) between ripley and aberdeen ohio and is a creek that goes from deep to shallow multiple times going up the creek. I mean there are several spots 25-30 feet deep a few miles up the creek, and it is a pretty wide creek. This type of creek ideal for holding crappie?? I just figured that it would be a lot easier to pinpoint the fish if you were in a little more consistant creek that would be a little smaller and just a little more consistant on the depth. Seemed to me like every time I would find a section of creek 5-9 feet deep with a standing tree I would get a few crappie off it but most of the creek is a lot deeper than that. Think that Im gonna hit Paint creek 2morrow, by the way how to these fish react to this sunshine we have been having these past few days? They stay shallow as sun rises or go deeper?? Thanks Fellas n fish on!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Muddy water

Sunlight doesn't seem to affect the crappie as much in muddy water(accept for tempature does have a HUGE affect).. Just remember that they don't have eye lids and on sunny days and clear-stained water the only way they have to control how much light they prefer is to hide under/behind the shady side on the wood and or go to deeper water.. I have found that when you find the baitfish then all you have to do is start looking for the crappies ambush points....look beside structure (ledges , ditches, points) or cover (brush piles, standing timber, laydowns) key being forage(baitfish) in the same depths as the baitfish and 9 times out of 10 you will be happy with the results.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you did good in Eagle creek. I live directly across the river. Did you find them close to the mouth or up the creek?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kycreekboy View Post
    Glad to hear you did good in Eagle creek. I live directly across the river. Did you find them close to the mouth or up the creek?
    I put in at eagle creek boat ramp and went upcreek from there. Had action all day but never did find a lot of crappie in one area. just caught one here, one there fishing about 4 foot deep around cover. you fish the aberdeen discharge much in the winter time? Im there a lot in the winter getting skipjack for blue fishing in the winter. Just curious, maybe we have met before. LOL Is there any other creeks you would recommend me trying in that area

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Next creek up towards Aberdeen on the Ohio side is called 3 Mile. It is one of my favorites. All though it hasn't produced much lately. And for the discharge question, no I've never fished it. But I have friends who do regularly. If you see a old Tracker with a 60 HP Merc. it's usually me. I fish about 5 different creeks and will stay on the move until I find them slabs. I've caught 5 to 1 small crappie lately but still a lot of fun. That's one of the best parts of fishing these local creeks, you never know what you will catch.
    Last edited by kycreek; 11-07-2008 at 03:08 PM.