Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A Trip To Remember

S10CHEVY is online now Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Trip To Remember

Parivercat, Ladi-Di, Miss Helen, and I went to Shenango Lake tonight to fish for crappie. We went up on the eastern side of the lake past Tent City, on the northern shore line.

As usual Miss Helen caught the first fish, and as she was cranking it in her line broke. Couldn't understand why, as I had just relined it the day before. Anyways, at this point the fish wasn't pulling the bobber under, and it was swimming around by the poontoon boat. So parivercat is watching it and Ladi-Di grabs the net and hands it up to him. He trys to snag the bobber with the net, but isn't being successful. So decides rather quickly, that since he can see the fish, that he would net it. Well the net didn't have a very long handle, and he had to lean over the side, and at that point Miss Helen thought he might fall in, so she grabs his belt loop and hung onto him while he netted the fish. The crappie measured 12 inches.

Found out that for some reason, the Trilene line had abrasions on it. It is a closed face Diawa reel, that is better than 20 years old, so will toss it out and buy the wife a new one. So for her to fish at that point, she had to use one of my open faced reels, and it was fun, just watching her casting it, so gave her some pointers. In the end she caught 2 crappie and a bluegill on jigs and chartruse nibbles, and parivercat caught about a dozen, and a bluegill, while Ladi-Di and I got skunked for the evening. We fished for a little over an hour before dusk. Parivercat was using the Shenango secret lure tonight, and I didn't have any, so need to make a run and buy some of those up. It was catching fish on every cast made. A fishing trip, isn't always just about catching lots of fish, but about creating memories along the way. It will take alot to forget this trip. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default abrasions in line

Abrasions in your line may have been caused by your closed face reel. Check the hole where your line comes out of the reel to see if there are any rough areas, I'm guessing there will be with a 20 year old reel. You can use a dremel tool to smooth these edges out if you don't want to buy a new reel. I have used this technique and it worked fine for me.
    Good Luck,
    Shadow
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing line - $8.
    Secret lure -$2.
    Getting your butt kicked by your neighbor, fishing........ Priceless
    Thats what memories are made for. I'm glad your crew is having fun. Keith, they have some at the 5 points baitshop. Dont take em all....... Chaunc

S10CHEVY is online now Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Secret Lure

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc
    Fishing line - $8.
    Secret lure -$2.
    Getting your butt kicked by your neighbor, fishing........ Priceless
    Thats what memories are made for. I'm glad your crew is having fun. Keith, they have some at the 5 points baitshop. Dont take em all....... Chaunc
    Will be picking up some tomorrow morning, plus some of those small bobbers with bb's in them. As for the reel, its history. On the spool it had an area that was rough and had caused the problem. She now has a Zebco 300 mounted on it, from an ice rod that hasn't seen action at all, since one of my children bought it for me about 3 years ago.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Keith, get her a rhino reel. It will last a very long time.