Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drinking on the lake?, Smithville.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drinking on the lake?, Smithville.

Went fishing last night, didn't do too good with all the wind. Thinking of heading out there tonight. Is it illegal to drink on the boat out on the lake ? if not, I'd bring a 6-pack in case the fish ain't biting.
    :D

Post Thanks / Like

From the Missouri Water Patrol site, I know you can drink a beer but you have to be under the level if stopped. Make sure that county doesnt have a open container law. A six pack over several hours wont get ya a ticket unless you slammed them, then the fishing must really suck if you slam them.

It's the Law: On the Water With Your Vessel
    Alcohol and Drugs-Zero Tolerance!
    Missouri law prohibits boating while intoxicated—that is, operating a vessel while intoxicated due to alcohol or any combination of alcohol, controlled substance, or drugs.

Missouri law states:

It is evidence of intoxication if a person has a concentration of alcohol in his/her blood of 0.10% or more, based upon a chemical analysis of breath, blood or saliva.
    Missouri law establishes the following penalties:

Those convicted of boating while intoxicated are guilty of a class B misdemeanor upon a first conviction. In addition, those convicted will be required to complete and pass an approved boating safety course.
    Upon a second conviction, a person is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
    Upon a third or subsequent conviction, a person will be guilty of a class D felony.
    A person boating while intoxicated who causes the death or serious injury of another person will, upon conviction, be guilty of a felony.
    By operating a vessel on Missouri waters, you have consented to be tested for alcohol or drugs if requested by a law enforcement official. If you refuse to be tested, you will be subject to arrest and punishment consistent with the penalties described above.

Missouri’s laws affecting boating while intoxicated are referred to as BWI. But, don’t forget, Missouri also has laws affecting driving while intoxicated—DWI. Effective September 29, 2001, Missouri’s blood alcohol concentration for DWI was lowered from 0.10% to 0.08%. Although any level of impairment may result in charges of DWI, a BAC level of 0.08% or above is prima facie evidence of intoxication under Missouri law. While the BAC level didn’t change for BWI, it is important to remember that if you drink enough while boating to raise your BAC level to at least 0.08%, as soon as you get off the boat and begin to drive your car, you can be arrested for DWI.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by wannalearn
    Went fishing last night, didn't do too good with all the wind. Thinking of heading out there tonight. Is it illegal to drink on the boat out on the lake ? if not, I'd bring a 6-pack in case the fish ain't biting.
    :D
    In depends on whether your state has a open-container law. If it does than you can bring the beer, just don't open any of them. Most states will still give you a DUI for driving a boat while drinking. Check with your wildlife and fisheries agent. Better to find out before you go than to get a ticket and a record that will stay with you for a while.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Tell you what I know a water patrolmen that works at Smithville.................leave the beer at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieOutlaw
    Tell you what I know a water patrolmen that works at Smithville.................leave the beer at home.
    Looks like i'm staying home anywayz, gonna be windy again tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Default wind

I hate fishin in the wind too, think this weekend is supposed to be better. hope there arent too many idots out this weekend...............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieOutlaw
    I hate fishin in the wind too, think this weekend is supposed to be better. hope there arent too many idots out this weekend...............
    I don't like fishing on the weekend, too crowded.

Post Thanks / Like

Outlaw is correct, Water Patrol has made it public knowledge that this summer they will have a zero tolerance for alcohol on the lake. Is it illegal? No, but make sure your not driving. One other thing i would add is that if your going to drink on the lake at least wear a life jacket in case you have one to many and fall in by accident. There are alot of stumps and trees in the lake to hit your head on. Be careful

Shaun
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

good idea MoSam.........went today and met plenty of boats on the road and on the water, got involved in a accident on the way home..........think ill stay home the rest of the weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Its not like people shouldn't know when to stop drinking. If they don't know when to say "when", all the advise in the world isn't going to sink in. If you don't know when to taper off and switch to water, you probably have a problem or just don't give a damn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast