Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: looking for wood to carve lures

Post Thanks / Like

Question looking for wood to carve lures

just wondering if someone out there carves their own lures and just what kind of wood they use ceder is hard to get here in md not alot of that stuff here .

just need something to do in my off time this winter that don't cost an arm and leg and is time consuming (wife says my mind gets bored quick)
    something to the extent that an idel mind is the devils playground lol

so just looking for some ideas and and maybe some differant wood types that i might be able to use

thanks,
    Scott
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoremaster View Post
    just wondering if someone out there carves their own lures and just what kind of wood they use ceder is hard to get here in md not alot of that stuff here .

just need something to do in my off time this winter that don't cost an arm and leg and is time consuming (wife says my mind gets bored quick)
    something to the extent that an idel mind is the devils playground lol

so just looking for some ideas and and maybe some differant wood types that i might be able to use

thanks,
    Scott
    Back when we was into bass fishing and making big o's a friend and I used bass wood. Works pretty good.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink If you can't find Cedar ....

you might consider Pine or Balsa

If all else fails ... consider jig tying

We've got plenty of members that are well into this art form/hobby/habit :p and a whole forum dedicated to it

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have used basswood that I purchased from Hobby Lobby to make topwater plugs. I tried balsa, but it seamed too soft. The plugs were used for schooling stripe and hybrid fishing and I wanted something a little more durable. The basswood floats nearly as well as the balsa and is easy to carve.

Post Thanks / Like

I can send you a piece of driftwood I use for rod handles, or if you prefer we have an abundance of cedar here as well. Either way they are both easy to work.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the Dumps and get Chair legs and Table legs, any other Wood parts of Furniture.
    Most of that is Cheap wood, and is heavy. Good for casting and holding screws.

Are you close enough to the Beach to find some driftwood limbs?
    Also you can find some 'sinkers' in some creeks where the wood is old, the Oils are mostly gone out of it, and when dried out, that stuff is pretty hard.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Basswood is definately the wood to use. I am a wood carver, but I don't make lures. There is a guy that carves large stripper lures at Raystown lake in PA. He is always at the boat launch carving. Basswood is what he uses. I use it for all my carving cause it is strong, light and easy to carve.

Here is a place you can buy some cheap
    Heinecke Wood Products
    unless you go out and find it. Don't get it at the local craft stores - they charge an arm and leg for it!
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

Red face look in LA.

A friend of mine use to carve alot out of cypress wood simi soft,light but has toughness.
    STICK-A-FORK-IN-ME-IM-DUMBER !
    www.CrazyAnglerTackle.com

Post Thanks / Like

well thanks fellas for all the advice and locations of items that i most likly will check out ,

i did find some ceder at a lowes store 1x4 inch wide and 8 ft long cut in half so will have to rip it to about 1 or 1.5 inchs wide and am gonna try that for now untill i get my hands on something else .

thanks again fellas
    scott
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland

Post Thanks / Like

I have some scraps from building chairs with eastern red cedar. Would that work? Been thinking of turning some my self.
    Pete