Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: time/spot

Post Thanks / Like

Default time/spot

My favorite way to fish is in brushpiles/buckbrush/laydowns(but two-pole troll when I can't catch fish that way). I've never been able to catch fish on isolated standing timber/stumps with any consistency. I may be moving too quick. In the areas mentioned above, I may not leave my jig in a spot more than fifteen seconds or so. If I don't get bit I'll move, maybe no more than six inches, but I'll move a little and try again. I'm wondering what kind of time you guys are giving your bait to work, before you move just a little, but still in the same bush/pile/whatever? It seems to me that if I'm not bit pretty quick, then it's not happening for me. I'm also wondering if I'm just picking off the most aggressive fish, and if they're not any, then I'm missing fish that may need more time to look it over, but will bite eventually, maybe.:D

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the day. I've seen days where the fish wont touch it unless you let it still for quite a while. Then again I've caught many fish moving around like you describe. Sometime the movement of the bait triggers something in the fish to strike. Often times crappie will strike a bait either on the way up or down. How many times have you grabbed poll that has been sitting idle for a long time only to have something try to take it out of your hands? Other times they need to see a much more natural presentation before they are persuaded. The best thing to do is try both whenever you fish. Whichever proves more productive is probably the best bet...till tomorrow:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default moving the bait

I perfer not to take the bait out of the water but"swim" it to my next location if it is not to far away. Kind of like trolling a brushpile.
    Gilby aka Bill :D

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a lot of bridge piers,and standing timber. and I fish it slow,real slow, drop the jig to the bottom if the water is 20 ft or less and slow real up till I feel the tic, in the standing timber I work all the way arround the tree. slow,slower,slowest.... guys fishing arround me will fish 5 times more trees and catch a lot more crappie than I do but I like the slow fishing. I guess the harder the fish is to come by the better I like it. I also slow troll two rods out either side of boat. this is from tree to tree bridge pier to bridge pier... I have found the most agressive fish are not always the keeper size. seems like them dinks hit first. if this is the way they want, I move out to the edge of what ever I am fishin and go eaven slower than I was. it works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

As how far I move the jig when long poleing depends on the water color and the subject I'm fishing around.When jigging up and down,side to side and the bite gets down to where you haveta hold it perfectfully still is like setting on needles and pins lol.I think when the bite gets that slow is when you can catch a monstor slad or two,the waiting game seems pointless until you feel that first tic as your about to give up hope.I can handle that type fishing but had rather cast for them,I'm fixen to put a long pole back in the boat.I used to carry one but haven't in several years,I needed one saturaday fishing Shirley bay ,the bite was that slow.I really think the water color has a enpack on how far one should move his distance while jigging up and down,side to side or perfectfully still.Sorry for running off at the mouth when a few words would have been enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your timing is okay to me. Seeking out the more aggressively feeding fish is ultimately more productive and over working one spot begging them to bite.

I mostly fish submerged brushpiles with long poles and slip corks or long pole tightlining jigs. The boat hovers over and around the brushpile pushing and pulling the slip cork rigs until I am satisfied that I have worked it thoroughly. That usually takes 5-10 minutes. If they don't play I don't stay. When tightlining jigs I pitch it out and allow it to fall. I do this any number of times till I'm satisfied the cover has been thoroughly fished. Again, if they don't play I don't stay. It's not an exact science but a bite warrants and additional 2 minutes and boating a fish gets and additional 5 minutes. More often than not, they will only give you a few per spot. Run and gun to all the spots that fit the pattern and you go home with a nice mess.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses so far.

beagle man- When notice that your bites are coming at certain depth on average, do you fish at that depth, then move to another pier/tree? Or do you fish all the trees/piers by dropping to the bottom and coming up on every one?

Darryl- When you're fishing with a slip cork, are you setting the depth to go down in the pile or are you just above it? If you're in it, I guess your cork doesn't hinder you much in getting your jig loose?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by talltimber View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far.

beagle man- When notice that your bites are coming at certain depth on average, do you fish at that depth, then move to another pier/tree? Or do you fish all the trees/piers by dropping to the bottom and coming up on every one?

Darryl- When you're fishing with a slip cork, are you setting the depth to go down in the pile or are you just above it? If you're in it, I guess your cork doesn't hinder you much in getting your jig loose?
    I will always stay above the cover at first and then work my way down as conditions permit and depending on what I see on my electronics. If I went to the bottom and worked my way up I'd never catch a fish for staying hung up all the time. Fishing below the crappie is unproductive anyway and wastes time. When fishing submerged cover, use your electronics to identify two things: 1) the depth at which the top of the cover is and 2) the depth at which the fish are holding. Then fish the strike zone. Make a few adjustments up or down if you see fit. They're either going to get in the boat with you or you go find some who will.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]