Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about Running 12v system using 2 batteries in-parallel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about Running 12v system using 2 batteries in-parallel

At least I think this is how you describe it.

Someone posted a thread about it earlier, but I don't remember who and how they said to do it.

What I am trying to do is take the two batteries I have currently dedicated for trolling and instead of having to un-hook and re-connect the battery once it goes dead, I wanted to have the two batteries connected, but using a 12v trolling motor to have it draw from both batteries.

Would this be a good idea or not?

I know VERY LITTLE about electrical, so as plain as you can put it would be best.

Thanks a bunch!!
    - GABoy
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GABoy
    At least I think this is how you describe it.

Someone posted a thread about it earlier, but I don't remember who and how they said to do it.

I know VERY LITTLE about electrical, so as plain as you can put it would be best.
    Last edited by VietVet68; 05-26-2005 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12v in parallel

GABoy,

In my old bass boat, I ran my trolling motor like this for years. As in the previous diagram, positive to positive and negative to negative.

You won't get more thrust just a longer run time. Also, if one or the other battery is questionable in condition, you will see it effect the other.

FP67

Post Thanks / Like

You could also install a "selector switch" and choose which battery you want to run off of, or you could choose both.

Post Thanks / Like

My two batteries are less than a year old, so I feel they are in pretty good shape.

Now, if one battery might affect the other, would I be better off just installing a selector switch and using one till it's dead and then switching to the other and not running them both at the same time?

I understand I won't get more power, but mostly I just didn't want to have to open the battery compartment and unscrew the wingnut and reconnect to the other battery when the first dies and I am in the middle of trolling.

Where in the wiring diagram would I add the selector switch, and where is a good place to get one?

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES SO FAR!!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

My two batteries are less than a year old, so I feel they are in pretty good shape.

Now, if one battery might affect the other, would I be better off just installing a selector switch and using one till it's dead and then switching to the other and not running them both at the same time?

I understand I won't get more power, but mostly I just didn't want to have to open the battery compartment and unscrew the wingnut and reconnect to the other battery when the first dies and I am in the middle of trolling.

Where in the wiring diagram would I add the selector switch, and where is a good place to get one?

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES SO FAR!!
    If I felt that both batteries we fairly matched, I would probably not go through the hassle of a selector switch for trolling motor batteries.

Cabela's and Bass Pro both sell them, but I think you are given two choices... "BAT1,BAT2,OFF" or "BAT1,BAT2,BOTH,OFF" You would want the second choice only if you wanted to run per the diagram above.

I still have a new one still in the package because I wasn't sure if the old one that came with my "toon" was going to work. They come with a very good diagram explaining installation. Mine is rated at 300 AMPS Continuous/600 AMPS Intermittent.

If you have the room and the need, for about $130.00 you can get a Minnkota, 2 Bank charger,onboard charger that makes charging super handy.
    Last edited by VietVet68; 05-26-2005 at 11:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VietVet68
    If I felt that both batteries we fairly matched, I would probably not go through the hassle of a selector switch for trolling motor batteries.

Cabela's and Bass Pro both sell them, but I think you are given two choices... "BAT1,BAT2,OFF" or "BAT1,BAT2,BOTH,OFF" You would want the second choice only if you wanted to run per the diagram above.

I still have a new one still in the package because I wasn't sure if the old one that came with my "toon" was going to work. They come with a very good diagram explaining installation. Mine is rated at 300 AMPS Continuous/600 AMPS Intermittent.
    You still have a new selector switch in the package? One that has "Bat1, Bat2, Both, Off" or "Bat1, Bat2, Off"?

I have no idea what that rating means though....I am about as dumb as dirt when it comes to anything electrical.

Would you like to sell it, or are you gonna hang onto it in case you need it later?
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

You still have a new selector switch in the package? One that has "Bat1, Bat2, Both, Off" or "Bat1, Bat2, Off"?

I have no idea what that rating means though....I am about as dumb as dirt when it comes to anything electrical.

Would you like to sell it, or are you gonna hang onto it in case you need it later?
    It's a "Bat1, Bat2, Both, Off", but I think I'm want to hang on to it. The selector I have on the "toon" now is older than dirt.

LOL, the rating means it's gonna work very well in your application.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VietVet68
    It's a "Bat1, Bat2, Both, Off", but I think I'm want to hang on to it. The selector I have on the "toon" now is older than dirt.

LOL, the rating means it's gonna work very well in your application.
    No problem, I think I found one on Cabela's...how is this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...results1.jhtml

Ha ha...I rate this one okay....
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Alright...let me get back to my original problem though...it is worth the trouble to even install one of these, or should I just connect the two batteries??

I hope to upgrade my batteries to Optimas in the near future as well, probably buy one first then another later on. So, when I do that, should I still stick with the same setup or just run one individually?

Got a little off course there...

Because I might later on switch to a 24v system later anyhow....so, that would pretty much make that switch obsolete anyhow...
    ><)))*>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast