Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Teaching an Adult to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teaching an Adult to fish

I started taking a friend from work fishing recently. Its his first time for "serious fishing". Any guidelines or should I use the child routine such as putting him on aggressive little fish like white perch, keeping trips short if action isn't going to be the theme for the day, go in fair weather etc. I've takin other "adult beginners" out before but unlike him they get cheeky with me if the fish don't bite on a day i consider prime time to catch them and whine in a little rain shower. My friend's rod and reel consists of a fiberglass "tiger stik" and dinosaur sized spincaster. How can I convince him to downsize to an appropriate outfit like a zebco 33?
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

Does your friend enjoy a cold beer? If yes, no problems. (Just jokin!) (Sort of) I say just go and do as you always fish and take him along. He'll notice what works for you and I'm sure he'll want to be just as successful. Big points for you for taking a newbe and having the patience to teach.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's important for beginners (regardless of age) to catch something. Catching any kind of fish helps beginners see/feel bites and teaches them about setting the hook and playing fish.

As for tackle, let him borrow one of your spare outfits.

Post Thanks / Like

I always furnish tackle for a new person and will start with a 202 or 404 depending what they want to go for. After a couple of times I will switch them to a spinning outfit. I start slow and make the trip about them catching fish. If they are just going along for something to do than you should just go fishing, but if they really want to learn than I make the day about them catching fish and will do whatever it takes to put them on fish. Some guys I have them drop their line over the side of the boat and I will pull them through fish so they can catch some on their own. After a few trips I ask them if they still want to fish and if they say yes than I tell them they need to get their own equipment and I will go with them to pick out what they want or need. I have done this with several people and they really enjoy fishing now. It just gives me more people to go fishing with, and I really enjoy helping people to enjoy our sport. One last thing is take a camera along to document the day for them. You have never seen a bigger smile than when they have pictures to show off.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Hey whiskerwhipper, is it the asian man who works at the sushi counter who you teach bad words? Or is it Felicia, the love of your life?
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Or perhaps Mike or Johnny?
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim or Joe ??
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

With that rod, get him into some catfish or striper. I bought two of those rods for bigs cats and they work pretty well for a $25 Wally World rod.

It's tuff to teach somebody when the fish aren't cooperating. That's usually when I go hunting for bluegills just to have some action.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

I only take noobs fishing when i have already confirmed its easy fishing.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

take him gill fishing with light gear not ultra light with 4lb line or anything maybe let him use one of your setups like a zebco 202 or 33 light to med rod a small Styrofoam slip float small sized hook and maybe a small bb sized split shot nothing big and teach him to tie a simple knot nothing really special just a knot so he can retie his own rig makes it more fun when someone can do that they can leave you alone and when they catch a fish it was caught on something they done i would definately stray from any lures/jigs at this time and just use crawlers/wax worms /maybe meal worms keep it simple this will teach him to set the hook and get the feel of the fish then later you can work him up to minnows/jigs for crappie then ask if he wants to try for catfish explain that its probably not going to be as active but the size and fight of the fish is well worth the wait i would shoot for channel cats with a beginner as you can fish for them day and night also easy just use that store bought dip bait and show him how to tie a simple Carolina rig with a swivel and slip sinker and tell him why to use a Carolina so that they don't feel the weight and such plus using dip bait is relatively clean compared to anything else because you never have to touch the bait just put the rig in the jar of bait and poke it down in with a stick anyhow keep us posted as to how he catches on

also show him some fishing videos on you tube and show him the different types of rod and reels people use for different types.sizes of fish that may also help him
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS